The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Boil foam stoppers for erlenmeyer flasks?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
displacedtexan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Boil foam stoppers for erlenmeyer flasks?

After some nasty tasting beer, I am now more concerned then ever with sanitation. I bought some foam stoppers from Northern Brewer to be used on my yeast starters replacing the aluminum foil I had been using.

In the past, I prepared my starter by boiling the DME directly in the flask on the stove. These foam stoppers are advertised as able to withstand boiling or autoclaving temperature.

Do you guys think I can still boil my starter in the flask on the stove with these foam stoppers attached?

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Funkenjaeger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

When I have boiled directly in the flask, I leave the stopper in place so the escaping steam passes through it - seems that would do a decent job of sanitizing it. Alternatively, it's a pretty simple matter to saturate the foam with starsan and then squeeze out the excess (preferably with a gloved hand or similar...)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply