Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bock style without lagering?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
jmwc95
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Rogue's Dead Guy Ale is a Maibock style brewed with their Pacman ale yeast (Wyeast 1764). Just ferment between 60-65 deg F and when fermentation is almost complete, raise the temperature up to about 70 deg F.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #12
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Does dead guy ale tastes anything like a bock to you? Not to me.

use a big starter of wyeast 1007 German Ale you'll be much closer... and shell out the bucks for imported german base malt unless you're looking to make a dead guy clone.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #13
jmwc95
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg388 View Post
Does dead guy ale tastes anything like a bock to you? Not to me.

use a big starter of wyeast 1007 German Ale you'll be much closer... and shell out the bucks for imported german base malt unless you're looking to make a dead guy clone.
It kinda does, like an American version of a Maibock. It's quite heavy on the Saaz flavor hops. A lot of making a beer taste German is the use of the noble hops.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #14
BrewingME
Recipes 

What is it about the ale yeast activity at the lower temperatures that imitates the taste of a bottom fermenting lager yeast? Should I be looking for the yeast to contribute little to no taste?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #15
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewingME View Post
What is it about the ale yeast activity at the lower temperatures that imitates the taste of a bottom fermenting lager yeast? Should I be looking for the yeast to contribute little to no taste?
right, lager yeasts are super clean and dry, but some also have a slight sulphur note. Just keep the ale yeast as neutral as possible (with the right strain and low temperature) and you'll be close enough to a lager yeast for the purposes of your bock.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
jmwc95
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewingME View Post
The lower the fermentation temperature, the fewer esters generated during fermentation. Hence, cleaner tasting beer with less yeast byproducts. However, you don't want to get the ale yeast so cold that your fermentation gets stuck. You generally want to run your fermentation cold with a clean American ale type yeast (Safale-05, Wyeast 1056, WLP001) at the bottom end of the fermentation range. Then ramp it up to the top end of the range as fermentation is finishing to dry it out.

Quick Reply