Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bock - Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Rudeboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bock - Recipe?

I have my Lagering Chest/Keezer now set up. First up will be a Bock I'd like to get ready for spring. I'll start it in a few weeks but I've been having issues getting specialty grains of late so I want to make sure I'll be good to go.

I haven't really found a Bock recipe I've liked yet. I was lookking for a good old fashion ordinary Bock. Not a Dobbelbock, not a Eisbock, not a Helles Bock just an ordinary Bock.

Anyone?

Thanks

Rudeboy

edit: Forgot to say I was looking for an AG recipe.

Primary: Wee Heavy
Bottled Aging:
Kegged Aging: Dark Czech Lager
Kegged Ready: Saskatchewan Wheat; NBA; Belhaven Best
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine '12; Russian Imperial Stout; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Leffe; English Barleywine '14;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy
I have my Lagering Chest/Keezer now set up. First up will be a Bock I'd like to get ready for spring. I'll start it in a few weeks but I've been having issues getting specialty grains of late so I want to make sure I'll be good to go.

I haven't really found a Bock recipe I've liked yet. I was lookking for a good old fashion ordinary Bock. Not a Dobbelbock, not a Eisenbock, not a Helles Bock just an ordinary Bock.

Anyone?

Thanks

Rudeboy
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipes they have 41 recipes on there for a Bock, Happy Hunting.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 12-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just use primarily munich malt with maybe 10% vienna to add a little something and keep the bittering hops low with only a 60 min addtion and you will be on you way to a malty wonderland of goodness.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 12-29-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend JC
Just use primarily munich malt with maybe 10% vienna to add a little something and keep the bittering hops low with only a 60 min addtion and you will be on you way to a malty wonderland of goodness.
That sounds about right.

You can also add 5-7% of dark crystal malt to give it some more complexity. I like to do this for my dark Bocks. But most importantly, have enough yeast to pitch (about 5-7 oz thick slurry) and don't let the fermentation temperature get to far above 50 *F. If this happens you may end up with a high percentage of fusel alcohols that make for a harsh finish. I actually found that in many commercial Bocks in Germany and contribute this to a rushed fermentation. A good Bock has a smooth finish.

Kai

Old 12-29-2007, 04:33 AM   #5
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did you check our recipe database????

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Rudeboy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific on what I was looking for.

First my MLT is a converted cooler so I can't do temperature mashes. Also I'm new to the AG thing and don't have the time/talent to do decoction mashes. So that cuts out alot of recipes (although I can modify them).

Second I've never lagered before so I was looking for something that said :"Primary at 50*F for 21 days, Secondary at 40*F for 60 days" That sort of thing. Every recipe is either vauge or silent on the times and temps of fermenting/lagering.

Thanks for the input everyone I think I'm figuring it out. Although Bock's are funny. There are lots of recipes that only have Munich and a little Vienna malt. Also there are lots that use a Pilsner base and wheat and put in Choclate Malt etc. I'm not sure if it's different ways to get to the same place or that people have a very elastic idea of what a Bock is. (I'm going with the Munich/Vienna route)

One last question; Lager starters what temperature do you have the starter at? I've read that you have the starter at the same temp as the Wort when you pitch (what temperature that is is a whole other thread) but what temperature do you "culture" the starter at?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Primary: Wee Heavy
Bottled Aging:
Kegged Aging: Dark Czech Lager
Kegged Ready: Saskatchewan Wheat; NBA; Belhaven Best
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine '12; Russian Imperial Stout; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Leffe; English Barleywine '14;

Quick Reply