Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > BM's Blue Balls - Got the Blue, but where's the Balls?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
jchadscud
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the sweet/bitter zest. I'm trying to replicate the Blue Moon that my girlfriend enjoys, so it will really be up to her taste. She drinks regular Blue Moon with an orange slice squeezed in, so I'm guessing she would enjoy the sweet citrusy zest.

I'll add in small amounts and see what I can come up with. The keg is chilled and force carbing for right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I find that fresh zest at flamout adds the most orange flavor. I added some to the fermenter and it added a little bit too much bitter that I am not sure if it is the hops or orange bitter. Granted the longer it has been in the keg, it is getting more of that aroma.

If you are looking for more aroma, a little bit of orange extract will make the aroma really pop.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Coriander almost always overpowers initially but over the course of a few weeks it mellows and the other flavors come out. I have a Wit conditioning right now and it's really got a lot of coriander flavor right now but it's better than it was a week ago.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
jchadscud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tasted a little today and the basics are there, just missing the orange flavor. I splashed a little OJ in the sample and it tasted great! I'm going to dump some of the vodka soaked bitter orange and then zest some sweet orange in vodka and add that. Hopefully, she'll turn out right for me.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Only zest if you can get bitter oranges. Wits rely on the oranges to finish balancing the bittering, and they don't pull much citrus character from them. Sweet orange zest is going to make for a really sweet/citrusy flavor that's totally out of character for a good wit.
I disagree. Use the zest of whatever citrus fruit you can find, Oranges, Grapefruit, lime, lemon, tangerine. Check out the this podcast episode of the Jamil show for some more ideas on your next wit.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/T...-Show-03-13-06

Quick Reply