Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blueberry Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
derwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Blueberry Wheat

I'm looking to get back into brewing with a blueberry wheat, mostly this style because my roommate has expressed interest in it and I wouldn't mind some help. Anyway, I've been looking for a simple extract recipe and came across this It looks like what I'm after but I'm just curious if anyone see's any problems with it or would add any recommendations to it.

Additionally, I've been reading over on the extract board that a lot of people like to wait till the last 15 minutes of the boil to add the DME for a lighter color. Would this be a good idea here? I'm sure the blueberry flavoring probably darkens the beer some so is it worth it or not to try?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Money Pit Home Brew
Recipes 

I've done a couple blueberry beers for SWMBO and they turn out ok. I'm not much on fruit beer, but she likes it.
I didn't use as much hops as the recipe calls, I only used 1oz of Hallertau and no Cascade. The late addition of DME or LME is a great idea on a brew like this, it should help keep the color lighter.
The addition of the blueberry flavoring is the tricky part. The first time I added the full 2oz bottle on bottling day and the beer was VERY fruity. The second batch, I added 1oz at Secondary and the remaining oz at bottling. The blueberry was present, but didn't over power.

Primary: air
Secondary: air

Conditioning: Chris Colby's PM ESB, English Bitter with all the wrong hops, Kolsh

Drinking: NB Fat Tire Clone, English Pale, California Common, and NB Tongue Splitter

Old 12-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think I used the recipe for one of my first blueberry wheat brews and added 2 oz at bottling, it recieved great reviews from my friends and disappeared very quickly.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
derwood
Recipes 

I'm not big on fruit beer either, but when I told my new roommate I liked to homebrew he all but begged me to start a blueberry wheat. So, here we go. I'm hoping he'll get a kick out of it and buy one of his own kits so we have a constant supply of homebrew.

I think I'll take your advice on leaving out the cascade and I'll go ahead with the late addition of DME. In doing so, should I change the amount of Hallertau I use due to the different hop utilization without DME or stick with the 1oz for 60 min? I'm thinking I might lower it a bit--any recommendations? Would you add all of the DME in the last 15 minutes or just a portion of it?

I also think I'll go with a dry yeast to keep the costs down. Would a safbrew S-33 be an appropriate substitute?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't have my notes with me and will try to post up tonight once I get home, on what I used for hops. The first time I made the brew it was very good, then being the homebrewer I am tweaked it for the next batch and it wasn't as good. Definitely go light on the hops so it doesn't taste like bitter blueberry and if you want the light color add a small portion of DME at the start for the hop utilization and then the rest at 15 min.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

There's a brewery down the street from my house called The Chicago Brewing Company. They have a Blueberry Vanilla Wheat that is awesome! The Blueberry is somewhat faint, and there isn't a lot of hop character.

I don't know if they would be of any help, though. I emailed them a couple of times...once about some yeast, and once about their IPA....and never recieved a reply.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Can you get frozen bags of blueberries instead of flavoring extract?
I've made blueberry wheats in the past with fresh blueberries (2-4 lbs), and those were some good beers.
You don't boil the fruit, but instead steep them after the boil and dump the fruit into the primary.
Also with fresh/frozen fruit, after primary fermentation is done, you'll want to rack the beer off the fruit into a secondary.

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
derwood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinison_fan
Can you get frozen bags of blueberries instead of flavoring extract?
Not for very cheap here. I'll look around a little more but I think that might be cost prohibitive.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've done a blueberry wheat for a friend...all I can say is go way, way light on the BB extract. I think I used like 1/4oz in 5gal at bottling, and it still tasted too blueberry-ee for my liking.

Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Old 12-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwood
Not for very cheap here. I'll look around a little more but I think that might be cost prohibitive.
Yeah, I was't sure how much they would be. I got mine in season from a pick-your-own farm, so they were really cheap (1-2 bucks a pound, if I remember right).

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Quick Reply