Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #731
jwalker1140
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
This is incorrect. Even the spreadsheet someone posted with all these variants has the original recipe wrong. Wayne linked to the updated recipe again, a few posts above. I highly suggest you start with his updated recipe. It is SPOT ON BLUE MOON.
Not to nitpick, but Boegman asked for the "original" recipe and not the "updated" recipe so that's what I pointed him to. Apparently you think the German malts and English yeast listed in the "updated" recipe give you SPOT ON BLUE MOON. Cool. Me, I've brewed it with domestic 2-row, domestic white wheat malt and 1056. My impression is that that's spot on, at least as far as the malt and yeast are concerned (I'm still trying to get the spices right with my system). Regardless, I tried to answer the question Boegman asked, not the one he didn't ask.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #732
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The confusion with the first post is the coriander and orange which were corrected later at some point. The malts and yeast are correct. I hadn't even noticed he switched to us-04 in the "updated" recipe until now. I have always used 05. My point is the 50/40/10 ratio of grain/wheat/mashed oats will get you blue moon. No need for adding different grains. The wheyermann brand grains yielded the best results for me color wise. I think if Wayne could edit his first post it would help with all the confusion, but if you are serious about cloning blue moon reading the entire thread is recommended.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #733
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
My point is the 50/40/10 ratio of grain/wheat/mashed oats will get you blue moon. No need for adding different grains.
This has been my experience as well. On my system, the original 50/40/10 ratio gives me what I want.

Quote:
The wheyermann brand grains yielded the best results for me color wise.
How about taste wise? Does the pilsner stand out at all? I don't pick up a pilsner taste in Blue Moon, which makes me reluctant to try it. I use Great Western 2-row which is very similar to Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt (1.8-2.2L vs. 1.7-2.1L) so I'm not sure that color would be a reason for me to change. And looking closer at my notes, I do use Weyermann pale wheat malt, not a domestic wheat malt, so nothing to consider changing there.

I'm going to brew it again in about a month using 0.5 oz. coriander and 0.75 oz. dried sweet orange peel. I'm hoping that will finally do it for me.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #734
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Honestly I can't taste a difference between the two. I did a side by side by side after the latest batch, because it looked noticeably lighter. They tasted the same to me. I should of snapped a pic. The previous batch with the wyermann looked exactly like the blue moon. The latest batch with a nameless brand of 2-row lacked the orange hue that blue moon has. I used the recommended wyermann on the first 3 batches I made, and this was the first time I got this color difference so for now I will blame that.

The main thing I'm still trying to perfect is the coriander. I'm finding that how much I crush it makes a difference. I will get a coffee grinder so that I can be more consistent with it.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #735
BeerBaronBob
BrewHaus Apprentice
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Another comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaronBob View Post

I recently made two BM batches one week after another, one for a neighbor's Christmas party and one just to compare with the first and have to share with my guests that dont want my darker/hoppier beers. I have both carbed and ready to taste side by side so I will post the detailed comments after that happens.

Recipe 1
Bohemian Pilsner
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Wheat
Flaked Oats - Mashed
Carafoam
Crystal 40L

Recipe 2 - (Back to the original use of Rahr Pale but with a different Wheat)
Rahr Pale Malt
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Wheat
Flaked Oats - Mashed
Carafoam
Med Crystal UK 55L

Both used
1 oz Hallertauer at 60 Min
0.75 oz Ground Corriander right into brewkettle at 10 min
1 oz Valencia Orange Peel at 5 Min

60 Min Mash at 154
90 Min Boils
1056 Amer Ale Yeast at 64F for 21 days
2.7 Vols carb in kegs

My initial tastes pick the original recipe using regular 2 Row Pale Malt over the Bohemian Pilsner. Had no issues with mashing Oats. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences on this thread.
Sorry Nilo but I have not made your recipe yet. Ive been experimenting on my own using some of Wayne's ideas - I have a LHBS that has the Bohemian Pilsner and Wheat so it was easy to try. I also had some exposure to a test of base malts for HefeWeisses that resulted in Bohemian Wheat Malt being the favorite taste of 4 tried so I wanted to try this Bohemian Wheat Malt for two reasons.

Here is a photo of the three after a while. The pilsner is on the left, Pale and UK Med 55, the right side is real BLue Moon.

Surprising the color variance with the Pale and UK Med Crystal 55 vs the Bohemain Pilsner and Crystal 40.

Recipe 1 - Bohemian Moon 5.4 SRM
4# 9 oz Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt
3# 11 oz Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Wheat
1# 6 oz Flaked Oats
10 oz Weyermann Carafoam
6 oz Briess Crystal 40
70% Efficiency for 5.25 gal batch

Recipe 2 - Pale Moon 6.3 SRM
4# 9 oz Rahr Pale
3# 11 oz Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Wheat
1# 6 oz Flaked Oats
10 oz Weyermann Carafoam
4 oz Medium Crystal 55
70% Efficiency for 5.25 gal batch

Mash at 154 for 60 Min, Both with 1oz Hallertau at 60 min, 90 Min Boil
0.75 oz Coriander 10 min, 1 oz Valencia Orange Peel 5 Min
American Ale 1056 Yeast

Recipe 1 the Bohemian Moon had a sweeter pilsner taste than the pale moon or real blue moon but the color was very close. The Pale Moon was my favorite out of all three but the color is obviously not the same. I thought my cutting back to 4 oz using UK Med 55 would create the same color but it was not even close.

The Pale Moon, Recipe 2 was pretty close on the clarity although Recipe 1 may have sat a little long in the primary. The lacing on the side of the glass was better in the two homebrews. Coriander seemed OK to me although this is hard for me to judge. Orange aromas are pretty subdued in all three but greater in the homebrews. If I want more I add an orange slice in the glass.

Next time I think I will try regular Rahr 2 Row (Not the Pale) with Rahr White Wheat Malt and Carapils with no Crystal 40.

Best Regards,
BBB

On Tap: Uncle Buddy's Bock, Old Ale Jack Daniels Barrel Aged 8 Months, Stone 15th Anniversary Clone Black IIPA, Schwartzbier, ABSF Spotted Cow, ThreeC IPA, Kona Volcano Pale - Amarillo/Mosaic Dry Hopped, Cade's Campout Ale

Conditioning/Lagering/Carbing:

Dry Hopping:

Primary: Zombie Dust IPA

Next: HefeWeisse, BrewDog Hardcore IPA, Red Oktober

Old 01-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #736
KPSquared
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boegman View Post
I'm from Canada and had a great pint of BM 5 years ago when visiting Lake Tahoe. Always try to get it when travelling through the US. I'm going to give Wayne's updated recipe a try, but don't have access to BM up here (not that it matters if I like what I make).

I read online that Rickards White (a wheat ale with clove and coriander) is actually BM brewed in Montreal by Molsons after they merged with Coors. Anyone tried the two and know if this is true?
Blue moon and Rickards White are the exact same product. . .Coors owns Molson. They are brewed in the same brewery. There is not even a hint of clove that I can tatse. . .that's the whole point of using an american ale yeast. . .

Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #737
garethliam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
I used Wayne's recipe as a guide, adjusted for my system. Full-volume BIAB and No-Chill, 75% efficiency.

5.25 lb US 2-row
4.5 lb Weyermann Light Wheat Malt
1.0 lb Flaked Wheat
4 oz Acid Malt (for pH adjustment)

1.325 oz Hallertau (3.9%, pellet) 70 min (90 min if chilling)
1 oz Valencia Orange Peel - in cube (10-5 min if chilling)
.325 oz Fresh Ground Coriander - in cube (10-5 min if chilling)

US-05

Mash: 90 min @ 154º
Mash-out: 15 min @ 170º
Boil: 90 min

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.009
ABV: 5.3%
IBU: 16
SRM: 5.5
Hi, eulipion2 - was this BIAB a 5 gallon batch? I'd like to give this a go, but for a 1-2 gallon BIAB batch.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #738
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethliam View Post
Hi, eulipion2 - was this BIAB a 5 gallon batch? I'd like to give this a go, but for a 1-2 gallon BIAB batch.
It was a 6-gallon batch. I brewed it for a friend's wedding, so I wanted to make sure I had a full two cases.

On-Deck: Quad; Oktoberfest; Mild

Primary: Mosaic pilsner; Saison Americaine; Tripel

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 01-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #739
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts

BTW, I usually consider it 6 gal in kettle, 5.5 gal in fermenter, 5-5.25 gal in bottle. That's just usually how it works out for me, especially if I add hops to my no-chill container.

On-Deck: Quad; Oktoberfest; Mild

Primary: Mosaic pilsner; Saison Americaine; Tripel

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #740
garethliam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Makes sense, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
BTW, I usually consider it 6 gal in kettle, 5.5 gal in fermenter, 5-5.25 gal in bottle. That's just usually how it works out for me, especially if I add hops to my no-chill container.

Quick Reply