Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blue Moon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #691
caioz1jp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Ok So here is the side by side. The real is on the right.

Haze/Clarity:
Clearly this is a simple case of removing the irish moss/whirlfloc tablet.

Color:
I feel the colors are actually dead on but the haze of the real deal makes it look lighter.

Smell:
I'm a chemist and have bad allergies. Definitely not my department lol. At my best i would say the smell is close.

Taste:
Very Very close. Its almost like the spices are flip flopped. I feel like there is not enough coriander as the original has a spice on it. The orange feels more sweet and less orange. I also added my spices for the last 10 minutes together.

Mouth feel
Again this goes to the fining agents. I think if i remove that it will be perfect. Viscosity wise i think it is the same but the way the carbonation is released in your mouth is different between the two. I feel the original releases in smaller bubbles then mine.

My changes:
No whirfloc
Mash oats
Reduce Orange amount. (specific to my orange peel used)
I feel these changes will do more than enough to affect the over all product. What makes me confident about the flip the spice amounts is it seems to be the reverse of what wayne suggested. The original was 3:1 corianderrange.

Again. This is definitely a solid recipe here and Nilo you have done a great job. I want to brew waynes next just to see how different the current recipe is to the original.

forumrunner_20121201_114907.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #692
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caioz1jp View Post
Ok So here is the side by side. The real is on the right.

Haze/Clarity:
Clearly this is a simple case of removing the irish moss/whirlfloc tablet.

Color:
I feel the colors are actually dead on but the haze of the real deal makes it look lighter.

Smell:
I'm a chemist and have bad allergies. Definitely not my department lol. At my best i would say the smell is close.

Taste:
Very Very close. Its almost like the spices are flip flopped. I feel like there is not enough coriander as the original has a spice on it. The orange feels more sweet and less orange. I also added my spices for the last 10 minutes together.

Mouth feel
Again this goes to the fining agents. I think if i remove that it will be perfect. Viscosity wise i think it is the same but the way the carbonation is released in your mouth is different between the two. I feel the original releases in smaller bubbles then mine.

My changes:
No whirfloc
Mash oats
Reduce Orange amount. (specific to my orange peel used)
I feel these changes will do more than enough to affect the over all product. What makes me confident about the flip the spice amounts is it seems to be the reverse of what wayne suggested. The original was 3:1 corianderrange.

Again. This is definitely a solid recipe here and Nilo you have done a great job. I want to brew waynes next just to see how different the current recipe is to the original.
Caioz1jp, here's a photo of a side by side of #5, which shows it is slightly darker than the real. #6 reduced the crystal 10 from 2 to 1lb to address this issue and color should be much closer. I wonder, did you use 1lb of C10? How long was your boil? I used briess crystal malt.
bl_59.jpg  

Nilo
http://beertech.blogspot.com

Old 12-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #693
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I cant remember now. In my recipe book i have it written down as 5lb lol. But i beleive when i went to the brew shop i copied it off your spread sheet.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #694
NFryan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just finished brewing #6 (modified) today. I will let you know how the finished product tastes.

Mashed 60 min 154
Batch sparged at 170

Wheat malt 5 lbs
2-row Briess 5lbs
Quick Oats 1 lb (mashed)
Crystal 10L 1 lb
Carapils .5 lb

Hallertauer - 1oz 60min
.75 oz whole Coriander 10 min (crushed)
1.5 oz Valencia peels 5 min

Strained wort
S04 yeast rehydrated at 90 degrees
OG - 158 - 160

Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #695
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just made few changes to the poll format, find it at the link below
http://beertech.blogspot.com/p/polls_30.html

Nilo

Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #696
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have added Wayne's recipe to the pdf at https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxL...Q2ODdmMzljNDUz

I'm not sure on what people brewed exactly, if any variation from Wayne's original recipe on page1, specially the coriander/orange amounts.
Let me know and I can update the recipe.

Nilo

Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #697
BeerBaronBob
BrewHaus Apprentice
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default 2 BM Variations to Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1 View Post
Nilo,

For brewers attempting this recipe for the first time, I would strongly suggest you plan to brew it at least three times before you decide on a recipe. Try it once with my suggestions, Try it once with Nilo's suggestions. Taste both of the finished products and decide which one of them tastes closer to what you want your beer to be. THEN tweak the third one to try to arrive at the best compromise for your system and tastes.

A slightly off topic note, I am getting back into pro-brewing. I am presently consulting with two start-ups. One in WY and one in SD. The brewery in WY has ordered their system and is expected to open around May 2013. The SD brewery just received approval for their funding and hopes to be open sometime next summer.

I am also doing recipe consulting for a recently opened micro in IA. A couple of my recipes should be available by spring. Perhaps by the fall of 2013 there might be a few places to try some other commercial variants of this "American White Ale"
First of all congrats on your recent consulting gigs Wayne... What a great time in history to be a brewery consultant!

I have been following your thread on and off over the last 3 years. Cloning a Blue Moon was one of my first priorities as a homebrewer. Since then I have been brewing many beer styles, 20 different this year alone. My Blue Moon attempts started with Wayne's recipe and progressed to try some of the variations suggested. Orange extract was a disaster. Weyermann Vienna vs Pale Malt I thought was not the flavor I wanted. My first attempts with the original recipe using Partial Mash are documented earlier in this thread and turned out great.

I recently made two BM batches one week after another, one for a neighbor's Christmas party and one just to compare with the first and have to share with my guests that dont want my darker/hoppier beers. I have both carbed and ready to taste side by side so I will post the detailed comments after that happens.

Recipe 1
Bohemian Pilsner
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Wheat
Flaked Oats - Mashed
Carafoam
Crystal 40L

Recipe 2 - (Back to the original use of Pale but with a different Wheat)
Rahr Pale Malt
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Wheat
Flaked Oats - Mashed
Carafoam
Med Crystal UK 55L

Both used
1 oz Hallertauer at 60 Min
0.75 oz Ground Corriander right into brewkettle at 10 min
1 oz Valencia Orange Peel at 5 Min

60 Min Mash at 154
90 Min Boils
1056 Amer Ale Yeast at 64F for 21 days
2.7 Vols carb in kegs

My initial tastes pick the original recipe using regular 2 Row Pale Malt over the Bohemian Pilsner. Had no issues with mashing Oats. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences on this thread.

Best Regards,
BBB

On Tap: Uncle Buddy's Bock, Old Ale Jack Daniels Barrel Aged 8 Months, Munich Dunkel, Citra Dust IPA, BrewDog Hardcore IIPA

Conditioning/Lagering/Carbing: Uncle Buddy's Bock

Dry Hopping:

Primary:

Next: Cade's Campout Ale, Lakefront's Riverwest SteinBeer Clone, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Clone - 55 Gal JD barrel group brew

Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #698
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

#8 is completed, recipe found HERE
Comments HERE

Side by side

bm8a.jpg  

Nilo

Old 12-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #699
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Wow

Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #700
Toivo
Recipes 

I just tapped a keg of this using the original basic recipe. The family really enjoyed it over Christmas. I had been making a version of Austin Homebrews begian wit that has always been a hit, but this new one is the best so far. I do have to add more orange to it since it came out very light on flavor and aroma. Great recipe and thanks to all who have added input to this thread.

Quick Reply