LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #641
J8D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I brewed the latest and greatest Nilo version of Blue Moon only I did NOT use the corn starch but instead went with the oats. I also could not find the Valencia orange so instead went with another type of “dried orange peel”. After the beer was done I put it on my stout faucet. All I can say is WOW. This is what I spent the five previous batches trying to achieve. If you have not done so, put this sucker on nitrogen. It is magical. Thanks again to all the great contributions.

J8D

---------------------------------------------
Stout Faucet: Guinness Clone
Faucet 1: Tongue Twister IIPA
Faucet 2: American White
Faucet 3: Wheat #2
Satellite Faucet: Walking Dead Guy Ale
Primary 1/2: Simcoe Pale Ale
Secondary 1/2: What You Do IPA

Upcoming Brews: Belgian Pale Ale

Total gallons brewed: 470 gallons

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #642
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I saw in another thread based off the austin homebrew recipe that they are using a 30 minute boil. Could this possibly help address the body and color issues. I have been under the impression that the longer the boil, the thinner the body, lighter color, and dryer your beer will be.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #643
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caioz1jp View Post
I saw in another thread based off the austin homebrew recipe that they are using a 30 minute boil. Could this possibly help address the body and color issues. I have been under the impression that the longer the boil, the thinner the body, lighter color, and dryer your beer will be.

I'm not quite sure what you may be referring to. The 90 minute boil is to get full utilization from the hops, and evaporate the correct amount of water to hit the correct OG.

If anything, a longer boil will darken the color, increase the body and increase the unfermentable content causing it to be sweeter.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #644
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1

I'm not quite sure what you may be referring to. The 90 minute boil is to get full utilization from the hops, and evaporate the correct amount of water to hit the correct OG.

If anything, a longer boil will darken the color, increase the body and increase the unfermentable content causing it to be sweeter.
Well it comes from my extract brewing that the less time you boil the malt extract, late addition, the lighter the beer is.

As for body and dryness i got that from the cream of three crops recipe by biermuncher.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #645
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
I believe that color and body issues has been addressed and mostly resolved (all grain) within the many recipes that we have tested since this thread started. There has been blind tests done by some where no distiction could be made between the comercial and clone.

Nilo
http://beertech.blogspot.com

Old 10-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #646
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds good to me. I just want to make sure i get as close to the current available product as possible. I think im going with nilo's number 7.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #647
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Sounds good to me. I just want to make sure i get as close to the current available product as possible. I think im going with nilo's number 7.
Just wondering how may attempts you are willing to do before you get to something you like. Don't count on getting there the first time. Each brewer has a different system, use different products that always require some adjustments

Nilo

Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #648
adam01
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How did you come up with cornstarch instead of Oats - and the amount ?

I brewed #4. It came pretty close - a bit less body, more bitterness (added little too much hops) and more orange flavor.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #649
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam01 View Post
How did you come up with cornstarch instead of Oats - and the amount ?

I brewed #4. It came pretty close - a bit less body, more bitterness (added little too much hops) and more orange flavor.
In cooking, starch is used to thicken sauces without adding any flavor so I thought it would do the same if cooked (boiled) with the wort (and it did). Also, starch increases chill haze. Amount? Just a guess.

Nilo

Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #650
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilo View Post
Just wondering how may attempts you are willing to do before you get to something you like. Don't count on getting there the first time. Each brewer has a different system, use different products that always require some adjustments
If i had the time i would probably give this 3 tries. Unfortunatly i only have until December 18th to get this right lol. I have been agonizing over this recipe as I want it to be as close as possible to the real thing. I would hate to have a dud for her birthday.

The one thing i was wondering though is why no one has tried cascade hops in this recipe. I brewed a cream ale with cascade hops and all i could think about is how much it tasted like oberon/blue moon in the orange citrus department.

Like i said, it seems your #6 and #7 have really hit the mark and alot of people have been having success so that is what I am going with.

Quick Reply