Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blue Moon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #481
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
- Base malts => I guess there isn't much to say other than the part wheat will provide a chill haze and promote the cloudiness expected in this beer. So a mix of 2row and wheat malt makes sense. I have brewed beers with 100% wheat malt and it did come out quite good, so that option could also be explored.
I'll take this back. The photo below is the 100% wheat malt beer that I just brewed, and as seen, it is pretty clear (at 40F). So the haze/cloudiness of BM must come from the oats, perhaps from the flaked wheat if used, not from the wheat malt.
I'm not sure about the flavor profile coming from the wheat malt. I'll let someone more experienced speak to that.
78_wheat1.jpg  

Nilo
http://beertech.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #482
Wild Duk
Recipes 

Nilo, how long had you bottled with the Oragn peel before you drank it....

Also, How long do you normally keep this brew in the primary....I brewed mine up Sunday, and althought I have not checked the gravity, it appeasrss to be close to done...

Thx

Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #483
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duk View Post
Nilo, how long had you bottled with the Oragn peel before you drank it....

Also, How long do you normally keep this brew in the primary....I brewed mine up Sunday, and althought I have not checked the gravity, it appeasrss to be close to done...

Thx
2 TO 3 WEEKS.
I leave in primary a week or two after the gravity is flat.

Nilo

Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #484
rjsnau
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just made recipe nilo's #4 this weekend be accidentally boiled 1# of oats for 15 min. Does anyone know if they beer will be too thick or should it still be ok?

Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #485
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsnau View Post
I just made recipe nilo's #4 this weekend be accidentally boiled 1# of oats for 15 min. Does anyone know if they beer will be too thick or should it still be ok?
You will get some more of the slimy trub from the oats, like seen on the photo below, but it should be ok. Just let it sediment well before racking after fermentation is completed. Also, watch out for a blow-off on your airlock.
dsc06991.jpg  

Nilo

Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #486
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Ok, after reviewing my version of #4, I screwed up. I hadn't entered all the ingredients into my software before printing my brewday worksheet.
The result is I left out the caramel malts, so I used only 2row and wheat.
I bought them, but didn't mash em. Ooops!
My color is a bit light, but I'm ok with that. The beer is for SWMBO, so if she likes it, its a success.
Gonna keg tonight, I'll give it a taste.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #487
gregkeller
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow, so i just finished reading all 486 posts, and i've got to say there is a ton of info in there. So i'm gonna give it a try because i want to have a nice spring time beer ready to go for that first great march/april day. Probably will brew sometime in late january or early february once i get a fermenter free. There are so many variations in this thread it's tough to figure out where to start. So I think i'm going to start pretty much with the original recipe. 50% base malt (seems like vienna is ideal? or is there a brand of 2-row to look for that lends a little more flavor??? I'm pretty new to this) 40% wheat and 10% oats. 90 minute boil, 1.052 FG and 17ish IBU's from a noble hop. 3:1 ratio of corriander to sweet orange peel, maybe i'll go with .75oz corriander and .25 oz orange peel. I'd think if i adjust this at all i'll add more orange. Maybe i'll just add more peel to a secondary.

It seems like almost everyone has changed this a little bit. Has anyone brewed the standard recipe as written? What can I expect? Something a little lighter than current blue moon?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #488
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hello gregkeller,

I did quite a fair amount of drinking in Westwood about 40 years ago. There used to be a bar there called What Ale's Ya? Had Ballantine Ale on draft and Lowenbrau Munich in bottles.

I do not suggest using Vienna for the first try at Blue Moon. I made it this summer and at least in my system it had too much body.

Try the "original" recipe using American two row. Briess should be fine for all the grain. This will give a very light color and body. After your first batch on your system, you can then try some variations to match what you perceive as not being to your taste.

Original "Blue Moon" recipe

New Toys for Brewing

Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #489
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

First carbonated taste of my version of nilo's #4 I have to say is pretty good. Pitched yeast new years day and I'm drinking a pint as I type.

The coriander is showing, along with a slight hop bite but not too much of either. I'm sure in the coming weeks, it will mellow nicely. Orange aroma is present, but not strong. Pretty nice light golden color.

I haven't had a Blue Moon in a long time, so I can't say how close it is but what I have here is quite enjoyable. I'll try to leave it alone till next week.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #490
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Gregkeller, there is no straight answer. You will need to try a recipe, like Wayne suggested, and brew on and on and adjust it to your taste.

wickman6, I know, resist the temptation. I suggest you to get a BM from a store and make a blind test. Get few friends to help!

Nilo

Quick Reply