Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blue Moon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #181
BrewNinja1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My recipe is pretty darn close to yours (when you scale for efficiency), and after doing 3:1 on the coriander/orange, last night I just did the same as you, 3tsp of each. Let us know how it turns out once you get it kegged. The S-05 shouldnt be that much of a difference either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #182
MeanGreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1 View Post
MeanGreen,

The grain bill, yeast and hops look great. The spices are a personal taste. I would have suggested brewing it first as written and then changing it to taste.

It is nice to sit back and say that. I know it is very hard to not want to put some personal touches on any recipe. Hell, I hardly ever brew my own recipes the same way twice in a row. Most of the time when I change a recipe it is because I do not have the exact same ingredients. I try to sub things that will get the same taste. I don't always succeed, but I do try.

My main contribution to the Blue Moon recipe was the ratio of coriander to sweet orange peel. I do realize that the same type of spices are not available today. The McCormick's orange peel seem to be the closest to the Valencia orange peel I used. I appreciate all the feedback from everybody who has brewed the recipe. With your help, perhaps we may be able to update it to fit what is available to homebrewers nowadays.
Thanks Wayne. One other question popped out at me in the thread and I don't think I resolved it.

Based on my experience cooking I prefer fresh ground spices. Was that how Blue Moon was made, with fresh ground coriander?

If so was it more cracked, like a mortar and pestle or ground to a fine powder or just bought outright ground?

Depending on the answer that may make a difference in the ratio, no? that the powder is more concentrated than just a cracked one?

Again many thanks for this

Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #183
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When I was brewing Blue Moon, it was on systems between 10 and 15 barrel brewlengths. Roughly between 375 and 500 gallons in the kettle. Dried, pre-ground, not powered, spices were the only practical method to use.

I scaled down the amounts used in those systems to a homebrew sized batch. I do realize that spices do not scale all that well. My spice suggestions were just that. The ratio of coriander to sweet orange peel was fairly important, at least in those size batches.

Once again, I suggest trying the amounts in the recipe I posted. If it does not work for you and the type of spices you use, then change them to suit your taste. At least you will have a reference point from which you can modify the recipe.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #184
MeanGreen
Recipes 

Wayne, I agree and I am going to, I wasn't questioning your recipe, just was wondering what the origins were. People say ground, and was wondering if it was more complex than that.

Cheers

Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #185
defacto
Recipes 

i am pretty new to brewing and have read through this thread. i would like to make a pretty easy extract version of waynes recipe (partial mash at most). i know it wont be a clone, i just want to get something that slightly resembles blue moon and then work up from there. wayne (or anyone else) do you have an extract version?

we just cant get blue moon all the way over here in australia.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #186
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

BeerBaronBob submitted a PM version in post #169 on this thread. He seemed to like it, but thought it was a bit dark in color.

I am not sure if you can get the same extract in OZ. I am also not sure about the availability of sweet orange peel. Good luck in your quest.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #187
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilo View Post
Wayne, from what we know of blue moon today by tasting it, how much you think the recipe have changed thru the years?
I'm asking that because the beer I taste today seems to have a darker color and more thickness that most recipes call for.
I have the recipe below fermenting right now and wondering what you think of it.

5gal batch
4# Briess 2 row
4# Flaked wheat
2# Briess white wheat malt
1/2# Carapils
1/4# Crystal 40L
1# Flaked oats
1# Rice hulls

Boil:
1oz Hallertauer for 60min
1/2oz coriander for 10min
2 chamomile tea begs for 10min

Fresh orange peel from 1 orange infused in vodka and into primary

Eff%=70, mashed at 158F.
Dry yeast S04 at 65F

OG=1.051
FG=1.015
ABV%=4.7
SRM=6
IBU=14

The taste and smell from fermenter are just fantastic :-)
Hey, just wanted to give some feedback, with pics, of what came out from my recipe.
Here are some basic observations after just 2 weeks bottle conditioned:

1)The color of the clone is petty much "right on the money". I wouldn't change a thing;
2)The mouth feel seems a little thinner than the real, perhaps a little more oats, like 1/2lb more would do it;
3)Clone tastes a little stronger on the coriander. I used 1/2oz for 5gals batch, so probably 1/4 to 3/8oz would do it
4)The clone has a bit more carbonation. Used 1 cup corn sugar to prime 5gal batch. 3/4cup would probably be better;
5) My wife actually liked better the clone, so I'm sticking to this recipe, just will apply the above changes.

Here are the pics, please vote what you think is the clone and which is the real Blue Moon? Anyone?
dsc06207.jpg   dsc06209.jpg  

Old 11-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #188
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The beer looks really good, nilo.

My suggestions would be to not use the Briess 2 row. Switch to Weyermann Vienna as your base malt. With that change, you might want to cut back a bit on the crystal 40L. If it is available in your area, use the Weyermann CaraFoam in place of the Cara-Pils. As you can tell, I am a bit biased towards Weyermann specialty malts. I feel they are quite a bit fuller tasting and give a smoother flavor. Briess always seemed to be thin and rough.

As a bit of a plug, I buy my Weyermann grains from Brewmaster's Warehouse.

You can also cut back on the rice hulls. 1/2 lb should be enough.

Did the chamomile tea add anything to the flavor. Did you detect it's presence?

Original "Blue Moon" recipe

New Toys for Brewing

Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #189
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Thanks for the great imput Wayne. I'll look for Weyermann grains at my LHBS.
I don't think I can detect anything from the chamomile, so it could probably be left out.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #190
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

im going to guess the one on the left is the homebrew. Did you find that having the majority of the wheat being flaked as opposed to malted gave you more of the wheaty kind of graining taste that blue moon has? I had one clone with only 1 lb flaked and 5 lbs of white wheat (1 lbs oats) came out thin and didnt have that wheat flavor

Quick Reply