LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #111
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I believe I mentioned earlier in the thread that the original recipe used ground, dried Valencia orange peel from The Denver Spice Company. I do not think they sell in small quantities, direct. I used to buy it by the pound. That is also where the ground, dried coriander came from.

I just did a quick search and all I turned up was the Rocky Mountain Spice Company. They offer orange peel granules, but it says from a bitter orange.

Orange Peel Granules

Savory Spice Shop offers California Orange Peel. I have no idea what oranges are used.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #112
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info Wayne...all of it! We are well on our way to a small batch of Blue Moon =D I looked around too and couldnt find anything for Denver Spice Co. I even looked in the denver yellow pages. Thats OK...next time I know to use more of the McCormicks to get flavor (I mean semantics aside, does it really matter how much is used as long as it tastes the same?). Next batch Ill try again! =D

Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #113
kjdoyle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the update BrewNinja...those pints look tasty. I am doing the same thing...I will keep refining the recipe until I get it...Sounds like we might have the coriander dialed in, so that is 1 down 1 to go. What was your hop choice?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #114
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have heard from people that 2-3 oranges zested with the fine end of a cheese grater gives much more orange than dried so i would rec. starting there. Mine will be kegged tonight and ill take a taste (done with 2 oranges)

Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #115
Wild Duk
Recipes 

I used a microplane zester, and got about 2 oz. which was about 5 oranges. With the microplane, it gets nothing but the good, oily zest from the surface, no pith. I still had almost no orange flavor......

I did add it at flameout, which may have something to do with not getting much of the flavor in there......Not really sure.....

Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #116
ekjohns
Recipes 

Would it be possible that blue moon now uses orange extract?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #117
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I ended up using tettnang hops cause the LHBS was out of mittlefrau. Figured it didnt matter much anyways with a 90 minute boil.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #118
kjdoyle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

anything is worth a try...The first time I made this I used the recipe that called for fresh zest from 2 oranges, a lemon and red grapefruit,as well as 6oz of orange marmalade at flame out. It was a little to orangy for my taste, that's why I was back looking for options. I think my next batch will be 3 tsp of each.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #119
Yoda
Recipes 

I'll be brewing this over the weekend, can't wait. I picked up some crushed coriander and the McCormicks dried valencia orange today. These particles seem pretty fine/small...do they really need to be strained out? Seems like they might dissolve right into the wort after a couple of minutes, especially the ground coriander.

I suppose if there is "stuff" floating around i'll pour through a strainer, can't hurt. But I was wondering if it's necessary if i'm not using cori seeds and zest.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #120
ekjohns
Recipes 

its going to be soo crushed that it it prob will go right through the mesh i wouldnt worry about it will more than likely get trapped with all the junk at the bottom. However, i good way to arriate and clear the wort a bit is to run the whole wort through a mesh strainer sitting in a funnel as you pour into the carboy.

Quick Reply