New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blue Moon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #101
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Wayne,
I know you said that your recipe is ten or so years old & you do not know specifically how it has changed over time--- but I am wondering if you have drank one recently and could say it was different, and then speculate on the changes.
IMO, that might be why some are not following your very-direct- and detailed clone recipe in this thread.
I got a commercial Blue Moon today, and will drink it and follow this thread before considering a brew of it.
Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #102
BrewNinja1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well I brewed this exactly as Wayne had put forth (cept with 3tsp cor/1tsp orange). I will be kegging this sometime this weekend after 3 weeks in primary and will post back on how it turned out.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #103
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I put this in the keg yesterday and forced carbed it then put it in the keezer. I took a sample this morning, and its heavy on the corriander. Im thinking about grabbing a 6'er of blue moon to compare it to directly though (im going by memory) and when I do that I will post back. Im hoping in a couple of weeks the flavors with blend a little better. Not bad though still. Thanks Wayne for all the info you gave!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #104
kjdoyle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, I'm starting to worry that I over did the coriander.... I based my calculations on Wayne's ratios on the original, and I also assumed 6tsp = 1 oz...is that assumption correct?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #105
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I know that with 3 tsp Im borderline too much after 3 weeks. I think 6 will be pretty spicy...but you wont know till you try it!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #106
kjdoyle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default anyone tapped that yet?

I know there were several batches due to be ready around now...any taste updates?

Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #107
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I finally got some Blue Moon yesterday (it wasnt cold), gonna try them side by side tonight...will post back later!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #108
CreekBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I did a batch last weekend following Wayne's guidance to a T for a 5 gallon batch. I'll be bottling shorty and will be serving at a Milwaukee Brewer outing at the end of the month. Should be a crowd pleaser if it's even somewhat close to the original. I'll post my beer lover feedback as well as the 'regular' folks

Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #109
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i tried a modified version and will keg tomorrow so i will take a taste. Modifications will be posted when i get home and can get the brewsheet. I however know i used 0.5oz corriander (cracked with a beer bottle so the crack was not very fine) and 2 large oranges fresh zested. In my experience the dried orange peel just never gives the flavor i want in a 5 gal batch and several others agree on this

Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #110
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

OK...here we go. This is from the recipe I posted a page or two back. First a pic. Original on the left, mine on the right:

Now this is for a 5.5g batch. 3 tsp of corriander is almost spot on. I wouldnt change it for next time until the other flavors are just right. Which brings me to the orange. There is absolutely no orange flavor. The original has a very strong orange flavor comparatively. The original is a little "sweeter" though I personally think its the orange thats giving it that flavor. So that probably means that the orange we can get in the store just isnt as potent as what the brewery uses (it would be awesome to find out what brand they use and just get that...but I doubt that will happen). So next time I will probably do 3 tsp of orange and 3 tsp of corriander.

This is still very drinkable and delicious, its just not Blue Moon yet

Quick Reply