Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blood orange substitute

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
sellout49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blood orange substitute

So I bought 6.6 lbs of wheat malt and 2 ounces of Mt. Hood to make the blood orange heifeweizen from the DFH Extreme Brewing book for a summer beer. I foolishly assumed they would be in season and already bought the supplies. So does anyone have any ideas on what else I could add to make the beer not so boring, Ive never made a heifeweizen so I'm not really sure what would go well with it.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Blood oranges have a different flavor, but mainly I think they are more tart than 'regular' oranges. If I were trying to mimic the flavor, I might go with orange juice, a little pomegranate juice, and maybe a dash of granadine(? maybe). I'd say experiment until you get a similar flavor, then mix it up and make the recipe. I think most will advise to brew a plain hefe first though, where's the fun in that though?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
sellout49
Recipes 

it doesnt necessarily have to match the taste. Its more that i finally convinced a friend of mine to try homebrewing with me, and while I'm not a huge fan of weisses at all, she is and wanted to do something different, so really any fun ingredient to add to a heifiweizen would be fine

Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

adding oranges to a hefeweizen will NOT make a good flavor. if you want an orange flavor, add a slice when you drink it.

sorry, but as landhoney predicted, i wouldn't condone anyone doing this, especially on their first hefeweizen and even more so if you're doing it to try and get a friend into brewing.

if you absolutely have to do it, tho, be sure to use the peel only...don't use any whole fruit.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think the recipe calls for heating the juice of the blood orange with some of the peel??? Correct??? I don't have that book, but have read reference to the recipe in other places.

And yes, I can see the future.

BTW DeathBrewer, Sam Calagione(sp?) thinks oranges have a place in a hefe fermentation. Or did you just mean the actual whole fruit?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

i personally don't think fruit belongs in beer at all. orange peel and coriander in a wit maybe...that's still pushing it for me

but really...it's just that in order to make a good fruit weizen you first have to make a great weizen. how can you do that when this is your first wheat?

i'm just concerned you might be disappointed with the end product.

and i actually missed that this was from a book, thought you were just winging it. my position still stands but sorry anyway

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-14-2008, 02:03 AM   #7
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
...it's just that in order to make a good fruit weizen you first have to make a great weizen. how can you do that when this is your first wheat?
True dat!!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
wrangler
Recipes 

i planned to make the same recipe for a mother's day bbq. i'm generally a no-fruit-in-beer guy, but i figured this would be a nice brew for the variety of family members we were having over.

no blood oranges available, so i used (as you can see in my sig) tangelos. i used the meat of two and the zest of four. fermentation took forever, and was not even near complete enough to bottle in time for last weekend's holiday. i just bottled this past monday night, and the sample tasted, well, interesting. my wife loved it. i'll pop a bottle this coming weekend and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellout49 View Post
So I bought 6.6 lbs of wheat malt and 2 ounces of Mt. Hood to make the blood orange heifeweizen from the DFH Extreme Brewing book for a summer beer. I foolishly assumed they would be in season and already bought the supplies. So does anyone have any ideas on what else I could add to make the beer not so boring, Ive never made a heifeweizen so I'm not really sure what would go well with it.

Thanks

Primary: Yardhop Nugget IPA
Primary: nada
Secondary: nada
Bottle Conditioning: nada
Drinking: O.G.G. E.S.B., Isabella's Power Hour IPA v3.0, Sunday Song Stout
Cellared: Home-Grown Nugget Pale Ale, Isabella's Power Hour IPA v2.0, Tangelo Hefeweizen, Isabella's Power Hour IPA, DoubleHop ESP ExtraSpecialPorter
Distant Memory: Lady Chesapeake Brown Ale, First Pale Ale, Grandpa's Irish Stout

Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
i personally don't think fruit belongs in beer at all. orange peel and coriander in a wit maybe...that's still pushing it for me

but really...it's just that in order to make a good fruit weizen you first have to make a great weizen. how can you do that when this is your first wheat?

i'm just concerned you might be disappointed with the end product.

and i actually missed that this was from a book, thought you were just winging it. my position still stands but sorry anyway
Dude, you're a no-fruit-Nazi too? It's rare that I make one, but when I have, it's been great. How do you feel about spices? Are you just adhering to the reinhetsgebot, or what? Next time you're thinking "fruit has no place in beer" go find yourself a Hanssen's Kreik and then we'll see if you're still singing same tune

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellout49 View Post
I foolishly assumed they would be in season and already bought the supplies.
You sure there out of season? I was at the grocery store last weekend and they were selling blood oranges. Do you have a organic market or one of those high end markets (Whole Foods) that you can check out?

Quick Reply