Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blonde Guinness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
ronan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Blonde Guinness

In an effort to prove some friends wrong that Guinness is not a heavy beer I'm setting out to create a blonde Guinness recipe. Basically a Guinness clone less the roasted barley. But before I do I thought I would see if anyone has done before? Or is this just a waste of water and time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If your friends can't tell the difference between light-colored and light in calories, I'm not sure any experiment would help. I also don't advise doing any brewing experiments you can't see yourself drinking. Guinness without roast is a slightly-sour blonde with a whole lot of flaked barley.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid
If your friends can't tell the difference between light-colored and light in calories, I'm not sure any experiment would help. I also don't advise doing any brewing experiments you can't see yourself drinking. Guinness without roast is a slightly-sour blonde with a whole lot of flaked barley.
Sour? Why? It's not Foreign Extra Stout...

Other than that, I agree. A blonde Guinness will be totally unrecognizable, and thus won't prove anything. "This is a different beer!" they'll say. The roasted barley is pretty much the entire source of Guinness' character, and by extension its identity. So your friends will be right. Guinness isn't Guinness without the roasted barley. There is NO SUCH THING as "Guinness without the roasted barley". You'll just end up with a very boring beer.

I have a far better suggestion, which is much more likely to work. If you really want to convince them that Guinness isn't heavy, then show them something that is! Give them two or three examples of the heaviest milk stouts, the chewiest oatmeal stouts, and/or the most monstrous Russian imperial stouts you can find. And then follow them up with a Guinness. If they don't then notice that it's, if anything, actually a *watery* beer, then nothing is ever going to work. Certainly not a "Not Guinness", anyways.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
In an effort to prove some friends wrong that Guinness is not a heavy beer I'm setting out to create a blonde Guinness recipe. Basically a Guinness clone less the roasted barley. But before I do I thought I would see if anyone has done before? Or is this just a waste of water and time.
I think it's called a pale ale.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness

You can direct your friends here, where it discusses Guinness' characteristic sour taste and mentions its 198 calories per imperial pint, "fewer than skimmed milk or orange juice and most other non-light beers." That's about 22 more calories than an equivalent amount of Bud Light. If you drank 159 Guinness and your friend drank 159 Bud Lights, you'd gain 1 more pound than he would.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS