Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blackened Oats

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Blackened Oats

I am getting ready to brew a gluten free chocolate oatmeal stout. The recipe is from one of the forum members (Lcasanova). I've tweaked it just a bit from the original, but in a nutshell:

2 lb Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats, roasted
3 lbs Brown Rice Syrup (60 min)
3 lbs Sorghum Extract (60 min)
1 lb Dark Candi Sugar (60 min)
.5 oz Fuggles, pellet (60 min)
.25 oz Fuggles, pellet (30 min)
.25 oz Kent, pellet (15 min)
5 oz (.5 lb) Unsulfured Molasses (15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
6 oz Fat Free Cocoa Powder (10 min)
8 oz Maltodextrin (5 min)
S-04 SafAle Yeast
2 Vanilla Beans, split, chopped (added in secondary)

So here's my dilemma: I was at the LHBS, talking with the owner. We were discussing how difficult it is to get decent coloring for a GF stout. He said that black patent is pretty much roasted until it's almost burnt and that doing the same thing to the oats will help get more color.

So, I toasted the ever loving cr@p out of them. 1 hr at 350, 1 hr at 400, and about 45 min at 425. Spraying them with water and turning them about every 10 minutes or so. They have a beautiful dark chocolate color, but as you probably guessed, they smell pretty well burned. I made a tea from them, steeped at 160 for 30 min. It wasn't that bad, very woodsy flavor. Some of that acidic, ashy flavor did come through on the aftertaste. It didn't give off the color I was hoping for. It's a dark amber, but definitely not black. I have them resting in a paper bag and I'm hoping a week or so will mellow them out a bit.

I've looked all over HBT and haven't found anything on burnt oats. To be honest, I'm kind of getting cold feet. I want to get that color out of them, but I don't want to ruin the flavor. Any thoughts/opinions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
JacobS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A drum roller is what you need to get the color without burning. The thermal conductivity of metal pans in an oven will burtn your oats even with the water and even in ten minutes. Having the rotating drum prevents any constant contact for an individual oat. Try getting a home coffee bean roaster and putting oat malt in it at a french roast setting. That being said I'd repeat you tea experiment in about two weeks and see if the flavor has mellowed a bit, as the wait time is what is suggested in radical brewing.

In Secondary:Old Croaker Imperial Stout

Long Aging: Old Bruin, Flanders Red Ale, Flanders Pale Ale, Wheat'n'Peach, TC- Aged Amber, TC-Aged Pale Wheat, pSaison Historiq, Black Bretty, Flanders Red Rye

On Tap: TC-Red Headed Stepchild, TC-Saison v4, TC-Misty Moorings,

Bottled: Thunderhead Imperial Stout, TC-Three Weissmen

http://brewtoadchateau.blogspot.com

Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
ICWiener
Recipes 

I'll brew up some tea in a week or so, see what happens. Worse comes to worse, I guess I can buy more oats, toast them lightly and mix the blends together...mellow out the overall flavor.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I could be very wrong, but isn't black patent malt almost gluten free? Maybe I just misread that someplace, but if it's true, it's definitely worth discussing here.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
ICWiener
Recipes 

I don't think it is. Otherwise, there would probably be a decent gluten free stout on the market. But I've been wrong before, so if it is...that will make my life easier!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Maybe it's just low in gluten content, which is enough to scare any Celiac sufferer away. Or maybe I'm just full of it.

I do know that dark candi sugar is gluten free and will add some color and deep flavors. EDIT: But you've already included it in your recipe.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
ICWiener
Recipes 

the original recipe called for 1 lb of dark candi sugar during the boil and 1 lb added at the end of primary fermentation. I adjusted it because that sounded like a little too much.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
JacobS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Barley is in general low gluten, but not gluten free, same goes for rye

In Secondary:Old Croaker Imperial Stout

Long Aging: Old Bruin, Flanders Red Ale, Flanders Pale Ale, Wheat'n'Peach, TC- Aged Amber, TC-Aged Pale Wheat, pSaison Historiq, Black Bretty, Flanders Red Rye

On Tap: TC-Red Headed Stepchild, TC-Saison v4, TC-Misty Moorings,

Bottled: Thunderhead Imperial Stout, TC-Three Weissmen

http://brewtoadchateau.blogspot.com

Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
ICWiener
Recipes 

Well, it's been a week of wafting. They're still giving off a pretty powerful aroma. I'm thinking I might toast another lb, but not so heavily this time, and use them to cut the dark roasted ones. That way I still get that color, but not so strong of flavor.

Quick Reply