Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blackberry Porter question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Blackberry Porter question

I am planning on adding some sugar free blackberry syrup to a Robust Porter recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I am using this syrup, http://www.blackberrypatch.com/sugar-added-whole-blackberry-syrup-p-333.html. I am thinking about adding it to the secondary and or possibly at bottling. This is going to be an experimental 2.5 gal batch. Any one else ever use a sugar free flavored syrup in a brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Blackberries still have natural sugar of their own that will ferment, so I'd add it to 2ndary rather than at bottling. I did a porter once with frozen blackberries, but never with syrup. The only caveat I might add is that sometimes "no sugar added" really means "no sugar, but plenty of artificial sweetener." I couldn't find a formal ingredient list on the site you point to.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply