Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Black Patent - make your own?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
drez77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Black Patent - make your own?

I am doing a robust porter this weekend and for some reason the order will not be here in time for the brew day. The only ingredient that I do not have on hand is black patent malt. I am wondering if I can make this myself by roasting some 2 row or maybe some chocolate in the oven. Has anyone done this and if you have any idea of how long I will want to roast it for? Or does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to black patent. I am doing a pumpkin porter and I really do not want to push the brew date off. If worse comes to worse I can change it to a different style but really wanted to do the porter.

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Although it is possible to roast your own, the timing can be a problem. What I would do in your situation is brew the beer without the BP and when it arrives, steep, sparge and boil it for 15 minutes. Then add it to the fermenter. A pint to a quart of water should be plenty.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply