Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Black IPA recipe advise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Black IPA recipe advise

Here's a recipe for a Black IPA that I've come up with based on ingredients that I have on hand. Let me know if you think it will be any good or if I should make a different style of beer with my ingredients.

Shot In The Dark Blak IPA

Original Gravity (OG): 1.060
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015
Alcohol (ABV): 6%
Colour (SRM): 32.1 (EBC): 63.2
Bitterness (IBU): 49 (Average)

78.5% Maris Otter Malt
7.7% Chocolate
7.7% Crystal 60
3% Brown Malt
3% Carapils

0.1 oz/Gal Pacific Gem (13.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.1 oz/Gal Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 oz/Gal Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 oz/Gal Motueaka (7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 oz/Gal Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Ferment at 18°C with US-05

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
nberna19
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think there are 2 different schools of thought when making a Black IPA - some make it with roasted and/or dark malts whose flavor will come though in the final beer and those who want to make a standard tasting IPA whose color is black but has no flavor impact from the dark malts used. I go for the latter of the 2 personally and made one recently where dehusked Carafa III was used to provide the dark color. I used around 5% and it turned out very nicely. Brewer's choice I suppose

Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with nberna19's preference that a black IPA should be just that - an IPA that's black. The dehusked carafa 3 will give you an ever so slight roastiness that is wanted, but not too much. IMO, when you start adding that much roast flavor you are really just making a really hoppy stout, or porter.

I'd say drop the chocolate and brown completely and add about 8oz or 225 grams or so of the dehusked carafa 3 to the last 15 min of your mash. The hops look very intresting and very Australian, but for an IPA you'll need a bit more flameout additions and def more dryhopping. I like to go with at least 3oz for my IPAs.

Keep us posted on whatever you do!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

agreed with the above, i'd reduce the dark malts, prolly no more than 5% (including the brown). i'd also reduce the crystal (10% is alot for an IPA) and at least double the late hops. you got more of a kiwi porter there, not that thats a bad thing

Old 11-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think I'd be more inclined towards first school of thought as I don't really see much point in making it black only in color. Also I want to use grains on hand and don't have any carafa. So I'm basically just trying to get a feel of whether or not an ipa with chocolate malt would work. I might be better off making a standard ipa.

As for hops amounts, that's per gal so I think quite a lot of hops actually?

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"
daksin Likes This 
Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I just went down this road and the bottom line was don't waste hops if you are putting a lot of roasted/toasted malts in there, the flavors will conflict. I'd just save the chocolate for another time and make a standard IPA with what you have.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 11-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

As long as that's what you want then go for it. A lot of places are making these so called Black Ales nowadays which just seem to be a really hoppy american stout. That sounds more like what you are thinking about and what you're grain bill looks like

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
LegitBrew
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

My black IPA uses 81% base, 6% crystal (60L), 4% special roast, 2% chocolate, 2% Carafa II, 2% Carapils, 3% Midnight Wheat (previously black malt, but the wheat is not as strong/bitter/dry as the black).

I would cut the chocolate in half, is that literally the only grain options you have? might not turn out as dark as you would like. I would also up the bittering hops. Wait, just noticed that was per gallon. I'd probably up it anyhow. (at least 1 ounce 60 min for 5 gallons). Maybe lower the amount of brown malt. Maybe roast it in the oven!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
WoolyBooger
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I'm with you aidan. The reason I like black IPAs is because of the little bit roastiness you get that lingers just a bit longer than the hops. I use a small but equal amounts of chocolate and carafa III (2.5% each) and a bit more crystal 60 or 80 (3.5-5%). But I also have some pretty healthy hop additions to keep a true IPA flavor. You want it to taste like a roasty IPA, not a funky cup of coffee!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

We make an all Citra hopped IPA with some chocolate malt and its amazing. We use 2% chocolate malt and 6% chocolate wheat. I would personally lose the crystal, cut the brown to 2% and add some chocolate wheat to get the srm you want. I also agree with bumping the IBUs and late additions.

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Quick Reply