Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Black Butte Porter XXIII clone... Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #1
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Black Butte Porter XXIII clone... Help?

Since this was just released not too long ago, I was able to get a few bombers from whole foods. The store only got one case. Since I love the regular porter, it has peaked my interest even though I haven't had any of the previous anniversary brews. Since I don't think I'll be able to acquire more of it, I'd like to let it age for a year and compare my clone to the real thing. I'll obviously be sampling my version along the way. I don't want to try the real deal until it's aged for a year though, so I'm blindly creating a clone of something I haven't tasted.

So far based on the regular porter recipe from CYBI and the "recipe" for the XXII version as well as the info on the XXIII from Deschutes website, I've put together a recipe. All criticism is very welcome! Here's what I have so far.

BTW, due to equipment size, I'll actually be scaling this to a 3 gallon batch this attempt.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 120 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
21.16 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.3 %
2.78 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
1.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.2 %
0.84 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
0.84 lb Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
1.20 oz Nugget [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 48.6 IBU (supposed to be millennium)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
2 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.106 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.024 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.8 %
Bitterness: 54.1 IBU
Est Color: 42.4 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Mash Total Grain Weight: 27.02 lb

Protein rest: Add 43 qts of water at 136 F 130.0 F 10 min
Mash: Heat to 150.0 F over 2 min 150.0 F 60 min (Maybe 90 mins at 148F to get FG to 1.024?)
Mashout: Heat to 168.0 F over 2 min 168.0 F 10 min

(I'll be doing BIAB, so sparge will be a rinse in a separate pot and mash temp will be raised with a heat stick)

I'll likely be using washed Pacman yeast for this and fermenting at 62F for 21 days before racking to secondary for additions.

Here's where I need HELP!

I need to rack it onto cocoa nibs, oak cubes (thinking bourbon soaked), orange zest, and Pasilla Negra chiles! I don't know where to begin with amounts and methods for doing this...so I just pulled some numbers out of my ass

My guess/plan is to use 1lb of cocoa nibs, 2 sliced chiles (they are relatively mild in heat and the chile is just hinted in the beer), the zest from 3 oranges, and 1.5oz of oak cubes soaked in bourbon for 2 weeks (I'll pour the bourbon in as well)

So now the method for these additions. I'm not sure whether to just dump the cocoa into the carboy or whether to use a sac for easy removal.

I was considering putting the oak cubes, orange zest, and chile together in a mason jar with bourbon for 2 weeks to sanitize before dumping it all in. Is this a good idea? Otherwise, I will just scrub the oranges and chiles before cutting them and hope for no infections or off flavors. I'll secondary on these additions for 3 to 4 weeks before bottling.

Thanks for the help! This is next weeks project.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
BiscuitPower
Recipes 

Not sure on the other ingredients, but this might inform your use of the nibs> http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/black-butte-xx-207067/

Good luck and please post how this turns out. The XXII and the XXIII are def one of my favorites. Also, Deschutes has the XXIII on tap in their tasting room right now- just in case you need to jog your memory...

Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Philip_T
Recipes 

Curious on if you brewed this seebass, and if so, how is it coming along. I just had a XXIII bomber over the weekend and it was by far the best Porter I've ever had.

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

Old 08-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nope, I haven't made it yet. Wife requested a bourbon vanilla porter, so I made that. Then I went for an English Barley wine. I think this will be next as soon as I bottle the other porter. I have 2 more washed jars of pacman to use before they get too old, so this will be one of those. I'll have an empty fermenter in a week.

I also have enough voile material left over to do a BIAB in a 54qt cooler. So it will be a full 6 gallons.

Thanks for the link BiscuitPower. I didn't think about adding the cocoa to the boil. I wonder how that affects the flavor vs racking on it?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

BiscuitPower already posted the link to my recipe but basically the idea to do the cocoa in the boil was given to me by the brewer. I email him and he gave me some really good info that I put in the post linked above.

Enjoy, I hope it turns out great!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Philip_T
Recipes 

Thanks humann brewing.

I noticed that on their website, they list coffee as an ingredient for the XX/XXI, but not for the XXIII.
(from their website)
XXIII. So where to next? What's 2011's rich, imperial take on Black Butte Porter? Just for kicks, you dream. Orange zest perhaps? From Spanish Oranges. Seville, to be exact. And Chocolate nibs. Pampered nibs from the artisanal alchemists at Theo. Maybe some chilies? Pasilla Negra only, please. That would be crazy wouldn't it? Welcome to crazy. Get it while you can.

I also didn't get that much of a coffee note from it, but could taste the orange and chocolate. Lots of good info your link though....great place to start!

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

They definitely used some different ingredients on the XXIII version. So no coffee and the addition of chocolate wheat malt. Should be quite interesting!

So I think Ill go with the 4oz of cocoa nibs gradually added for the last 15 minutes as well. Then I'll rack onto the orange zest and chili...actually I may just stick with my long primary and just add zest and chilis after a week in primary and FG is reached.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

yeah, sounds like this years is quite different. Gonna have to find a few bottles of the real stuff. I just found XXI last month, had to get a couple bottles to keep my XX company.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
jlauritz
Recipes 

I'm wondering what you used for the peppers.

In California poblanos are mislabeled as pasillas. A pasilla is the dried version of a chalica pepper. A poblano is a fresh pepper that when dried is an ancho.

The simpler form of the question: did you use dried or fresh peppers? And, was two peppers the right amount?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Still haven't made it yet, but I will use 2 pasilla negra chiles. I might have to order them online if my local spice shop doesn't have them. The chili flavor is extremely understated.

Quick Reply