Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Black Barley

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
mayflychucker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Hey OP-
Check out Yooper's Oatmeal Stout recipe. She says that the black barley gives it a unique quality (I'm sure she's right). This is next on my 'to brew' list.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/yoop...-stout-210376/

__________________
mayflychucker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
CadillacAndy
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CadillacAndy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 936
Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflychucker View Post
Hey OP-
Check out Yooper's Oatmeal Stout recipe. She says that the black barley gives it a unique quality (I'm sure she's right). This is next on my 'to brew' list.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/yoop...-stout-210376/
Yup - black unmalted barley is used all of the time in stouts. I have several pounds of it waiting to be turned in to beer right now.

Golddiggie said he doesn't make stouts, so that's where the soup discussion started.
__________________
CadillacAndy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #13
mayflychucker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
I have several pounds of it waiting to be turned in to beer right now.
Cool. Would you mind passing along a recipe or three? I'd be as interested as the OP is. My books don't cover it and I'm finding that some HB stores don't stock it.
__________________
mayflychucker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
CadillacAndy
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CadillacAndy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 936
Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflychucker View Post
Cool. Would you mind passing along a recipe or three? I'd be as interested as the OP is. My books don't cover it and I'm finding that some HB stores don't stock it.
Sure! Yooper's Oatmeal Stout is one of the first all-grain recipes I brewed. I think you posted a link above, but here it is again - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/yoop...-stout-210376/

Here's Jamil's Dry Stout - http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JamilsDryStout.htm - it says "roasted barley" in this recipe, but in the book "Brewing Classic Styles" it calls it "black roasted barley".

Here's Jamil's Oatmeal Stout - http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/...tmealStout.htm - again, it's listing it here as "roasted barley" but the book calls it "black roasted barley".

Roasted barley is usually about 350L while black barley, or black roasted barley is more in the 500L range.

A trick to keep some of the acrid and ashy flavors out of the beer is to add the dark grains (anything over 200L) at sparge instead of adding to the beginning of the mash. You can crush them up using a coffee grinder, or just run them thru a mill as usual. You'll get all the color and flavor, but it won't have that sharp ashy bite that is easy to get with highly roasted grains.
__________________
CadillacAndy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: houston
Posts: 1,340
Liked 81 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
A trick to keep some of the acrid and ashy flavors out of the beer is to add the dark grains (anything over 200L) at sparge instead of adding to the beginning of the mash. You can crush them up using a coffee grinder, or just run them thru a mill as usual. You'll get all the color and flavor, but it won't have that sharp ashy bite that is easy to get with highly roasted grains.
Another method is to add a tiny amount of baking soda to the mash. I made an Imperial Stout that was 11% black patent malt and added 7g baking soda. No harsh flavors whatsoever.
__________________

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

kingwood-kid is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
CadillacAndy
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CadillacAndy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 936
Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid

Another method is to add a tiny amount of baking soda to the mash. I made an Imperial Stout that was 11% black patent malt and added 7g baking soda. No harsh flavors whatsoever.
Interesting. I've never heard of that technique before. I'll have to so some research. Thanks for sharing!
__________________

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

CadillacAndy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #17
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: houston
Posts: 1,340
Liked 81 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Got the idea here: http://www.themadfermentationist.com...ial-stout.html

__________________

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

kingwood-kid is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black barley in Bock zeg Recipes/Ingredients 22 12-12-2012 01:40 AM
accidentally used black patent instead of black barley RyanN Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 12-08-2012 06:56 PM
Black Patent, Roasted Barley (500L), Black Barley Difference KYB Recipes/Ingredients 14 03-04-2010 01:31 AM
Black Barley vs. Roasted Barley Parker36 Recipes/Ingredients 5 01-14-2008 06:22 PM
Roasted Barley vs. Black Barley texasgeorge Recipes/Ingredients 6 05-17-2006 01:43 PM