New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bittering hops.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
flyhigh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bittering hops.

I was wondering if it really matters what you use for you bittering hops (60+ min boil). A lot of recipes call for a 1 oz cascade or something that has low alpha acid like 4%. Could I recalculate using my software and use something with like 14% alpha so I can use less bitting hops or will it change the taste/aroma. I am just trying to be cheap and save a buck or less per batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Yes and no. I honestly don't think you're going to taste a huge difference as long as you get the AAUs right. Different hops do have different other chemical properties (other than Alpha Acids) that give them different bittering properties: some are harsher, some are smoother.

I have done exactly what you are describing with Columbus hops in several beers and have never been unhappy with the results.

Maybe if you taste tested both side by side, you'd taste the difference. Or maybe not.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Last edited by cweston; 02-20-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Different hops have different ratios of the six primary bittering elements and the resulting bittering profile will change. Centennial is sometimes referred to as Super-Cascades, the profile is similar, but the AA% is three times as high. http://byo.com/referenceguide/hops/index.html is a good cross-reference.

I buy Columbus by the pound and use it unless there is a strong reason not to.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply