The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bitter American - A Session Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bitter Ohioan - A Session Pale Ale

For the hot months I wanted to brew a few low-ABV beers. I have a 4% session saison that turned out awesome (though I overshot my efficiency), and now I'm going for a Pale Ale. It's more in line with a British Ordinary Bitter, but a.) lower alcohol, and b.) uses American hops and base malt. The saison was supposed to be a 2.9% ABV beer, but I forgot to calculate higher efficiency for the smaller grain bill, so for this recipe I calculated my "Small Grain Bill Efficiency," which is generally in the mid 80s.

This beer is inspired by Adnams Sole Star, but I changed the hops to match what I had in my freezer. The Columbus hops are a few years old, but they're vacuum packed and have been in the freezer this whole time, so they should be alright.

Here's the recipe I'm brewing right now:

6 gallon batch, Brew-In-A-Bag/No-Chill
86% efficiency

8 gallons reverse osmosis water
1.5 tsp CaCl
1.5 tsp Gypsum

4 lb US Pale Ale Malt
1 lb Weyermann Light Munich
6 oz Crystal 60
2 oz Acid Malt
1 oz Black Patent Malt

.5 oz Columbus (12.2%, pellets) FWH (calculated as 30 min addition)
.5 oz Columbus (12.2%, pellets) Cube hop (calculated as 20 min addition)
2 oz Columbus (12.2%, pellets) Dry hop (7 days)

US-05 American Ale yeast

1 Whirlfloc tablet (15 min)

Mash: 60 min at 156-158 F
Mash-out: 15 min at 170 F
Boil: 60 min

Target stats (per BrewTarget):
OG: 1.028
FG: 1.007
ABV: 2.7%
IBU: 27.9
SRM: 8.3
BU:GU: 1.0
Calories per 12 oz: 91

On-Deck: Quad; Oktoberfest; Mild

Primary: Mosaic pilsner; Saison Americaine; Tripel

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Last edited by eulipion2; 07-23-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Great minds think alike.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

21st Amendment beat you to that name.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well crap. Guess I need to get out more. Changed the title, but not the thread name. Oh well.

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would smell those Columbus hops before throwing them in and having sub par results. If you get any buttery, cheesey, onion, garlic, ect I would save them for bittering only. Hopefully they will smell amazing though! Good Luck!

Kegged: Galaxy IPA, Belgian Dubbel and Cherry Funk (Flanders Red + 10 lbs cherries)

Primary: Ned Flanders Red, RR Consecration on 2nd Gen Roeselare, Soured BDSA, Brett B ESB, Brett Trios Oatmeal Stout runnings.

Next: Oro de Calabaza Clone, Backwoods Bastard Clone, House IPA, House APA, German Hefe.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmich24 View Post
I would smell those Columbus hops before throwing them in and having sub par results. If you get any buttery, cheesey, onion, garlic, ect I would save them for bittering only. Hopefully they will smell amazing though! Good Luck!
That was definitely a big concern, but they've been purged, vacuum packed, and in the freezer the whole time, so they smelled great! Once I breached the bag my main concern was if the bitterness will be too low due to natural degradation.

If it turns out that the Columbus failed me, I've got some Bravo in the freezer that are considerably fresher. Then I'll need to come up with a(nother) new name...

Quick Reply