The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Biggest Little IPA...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
ILurvTheWhiskey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Biggest Little IPA...

Just finished clearing out some wine out of one of my 1 gallon jugs (can you call it a carboy?) and I'm planning on making a little something to put back for a bit.

Here's my recipe, any tips would be appreciated:

Biggest Little IPA
1 Gallon Spring Water
3.30 Pounds of Amber Extract
0.25 Pound Candi Sugar
0.50 Ounce Chinook
0.50 Ounce Cluster
0.25 Ounce Fuggle
0.25 Ounce Cascade
Nottingham Yeast

As it's an extract based sauce, I plan on boiling all the hops together for a total of 30 minutes, which should hopefully boil off some of the water leaving a little head head room in my jug.

This should leave me with a medium amber beer with just a little over 100IBU and just a touch over 10% ABV. I know this will take time, so I don't plan on drinking this till December.

Any suggestions before I start tonight?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You probably already brewed this. But I think you will want to move some of the hops to the end of your boil to give it more flavor/aroma. Maybe put the Chinook at the 60 minute mark and do the cluster at 10 min and the fuggle/cascade at 5 minutes for aroma (You have an interesting hop bill... Chinook can be kind of harsh and you are mixing American and European hops) I'm sure you can still make it taste good.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 02-01-2009, 03:04 AM   #3
ILurvTheWhiskey
Recipes 

Conpeter - you mentioned that this is a interesting hop bill. You're right. My wife said to clean out the fridge or throw it away. So I did. I had all of these random packs of hops sitting in little ziplocks bags from past brews. I checked the wiki page and saw that all of the hops are listed and used at some point in different in IPAs so I figured I'd put 'em to use. And I did.

I brewed this a couple nights ago and can say that I am pleasantly pleased so far. It smelled great cooking and tasted purty decent when I did a hydro check tonight. Other than being very upfront on some major grapefruit, it's not as strong as I had imagined it. I didn't want to dump a huge quantity of money currently, so this one gallon fit me quite nicely. So far this is a keeper, I think. I hope it turns out in the long run, I think it will. I can't believe how amazing it tastes, a whole gallon for under like 13 dollars.

Quick Reply