The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Big hop flavor with 1/3 the hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #121
OdinsBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm about to try a Pliny the Elder clone, and might try your hop tea idea. Do you have a recipe configured which includes the hop tea? Or could you take a peak at this recipe and send your ideas? I'm probably going with the extract version as I'm a noobie and this is my second batch.

Pliny clone recipe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #122
deno
Recipes 

Default What about adding a HFR to the bottling bucket?

Wonder what you could achieve by adding a HFR to the bottling bucket. Any thoughts on this? I am new to brewing and have been really interested in the french press idea.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #123
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm going to bump this thread just for the heck of it and to add some data. I made a red rye ale a few months back. Good but quite bitter. Just for the hell of it I put about two ounces of hops in a french press, (Chinook, I think). Poured hot, not boiling water and let steep (I didn't time this, but I'm pretty sure it was at least 15 min).

The character of the beer has really changed. There is a lot more floral, and piney flavor and aroma, and the bitterness is not as pronounced. I plan on experimenting with this more in the future to see how it works and to provide better data.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #124
oswegan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Going to try this. Now I guess my biggest issue is that I am going to have to go out there and drink a pint of beer so I have room to replace it with hop tonic. Oh the humanity!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #125
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, it has been a while now and I was wondering if anyone has doen any further work on this subject?
I am intrigued and plan to do some of this myself.
I like the idea of making a hop tea and saving for adding to the secondary then using the remaining hops in the boil for bittering(no waste).

I was thinking of steeping the hops for 15, 20, and 30mins in a basic wort ~1.040 at different temps like 140°, 160°, and 170°. Instead of "pressing" just filtering the hops out. Maybe filter with a paper filter or something like that.

My idea stems from what appears(to me) to be a "leaching" of tannins or some astringents from what previous posters have stated. I am thinking that a similar process to steeping tea leaves might give different results. Granted, I am not all that good at homebrewing but I can make a pretty darned good batch of iced tea!

I aplogize for reviving this thread but I am just now catching up with you guys!
Any thoughts or input??

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #126
saq
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

I keep meaning to get back into trying hop teas again. I tried it a few times and didn't notice a big difference. Now that I know a bit more about the science utilizing hop alpha acids and isomerization etc I'm probably going to try it again soon.

Boil up some water and let cool to 160, toss in however much I'm dry hopping with into a french press and pour the water in, let it sit for 30 minutes and then move it to the fridge to cool. Dump the whole thing in when I plan on dry hopping and let it sit for a day or two before cold crashing and transferring to keg.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #127
Brewinator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hereby resurrect this thread.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #128
BribieG
Recipes 

Bumped.
I have started to use a french press because I cool my wort in a sanitized water carrying container, around 23 liters, but I find that the resulting beer can lack aroma as opposed to crash-chilled beer.
What I do is to make some strong hop tea in the french press, fridge it in a sanitized Schott lab bottle, then use the pressed hops in the boil to provide bittering. There's a heap of alpha acid still in there and I seem to get fine bittering. Then I pour the hop tea into the fermenter at the same time as pitching the yeast. Improves flavour and aroma out of sight while still providing bittering. I understand that commercial breweries who use hop backs also reserve the hops afterwards and chuck them in the next brew as part of the bittering addition, so as not to waste the goodness. Makes sense, and it sure works.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:01 AM   #129
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puney_the_youkel View Post
I want to share a technique for maximizing hops by using a french coffee press to add hop aroma an flavor to beer.
In summary, I make a strong wort with primarily bittering hops. For these additions, I use high IBU hops and boil for at least sixty minutes. I make the wort between 10%-20% stronger than usual by using less water, but the same grain bill.

At the end of fermentation, I make a very strong hop tea in a one liter french coffee press. Generally, I add one liter of boiling water to two ounces of aromatic hops which steeps for approximately sixty minutes. I add this tea to the keg and replete by adding another liter of boiling water and steeping for another sixty minutes, for a total of approximately two liters of hop tea. This hop tea essentially brings the final volume of beer up to my desired five, or ten gallons.

Finally, I finish the beer as usual. Force carbonate and chill for about a week.

The results are very profound. I am producing a hop flavor and aroma with two ounces of hops, which previously required three to four times the amount of hops. My double IPA once required a pound of hops, most of which were used for aroma and flavor, now requires around four ounces per five gallons of beer.

Give it a try. As an experiment, make a strong hop tea with a french press and add it to an existing lightly hopped beer in a keg. Or on a smaller scale, make a cup of hop tea and add a portion of it to a pint of Pale Ale or IPA.

This technique works very well for me. I am able to continue to make my highly-hopped Double and Triple IPA's with a reasonable amount of hops.
There's no reason why this doesn't make sense. I have probably thought of the very same technique literally dozens of times. I have never actually set out to re-invent the wheel, but you are certainly not the first that I've heard of in doing this.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #130
Brewineer
Recipes 

After reading the OP, I decided I much prefer the idea of adding tea to the kegs instead of throwing a bunch of vegetation in them.

I went a got a French Press for just such a use, and my very first IPA came out with a rather nice Hops aroma to it (if maybe a little subtle for an IPA), from only 1.5 oz of hops into a 10 gallon batch. This technique seems to work pretty well, though next time, I think I will add 2-2.5 oz to knock it up a notch for the crazy hop heads.

Thanks for the technique, puney!

Quick Reply