Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Big Brew Day Stout Feedback?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
Clonefarmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Big Brew Day Stout Feedback?

I'm going to be brewing a Stout for Big Brew Day. This is the recipe I came up with. Let me know what you think.

Big Brew Day Stout
10 lb Pilsner
1 lb Honey Malt
1 lb Flaked Barley
.5 lb Roasted Barley
.25 lb Chocolate Malt
2 oz Willamette (4.5 AA%) at 60 for 37 IBU
Nottingham
150 mash target

I'm debating on bumping the base up to 12 lb Pilsner. Or dropping the Hops to 1 1/2 oz for 28 IBU to balance it a bit more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Looks tasty to me. Do you just have a sack of pils? I'd tend to use Maris Otter or Pale, but it probably doesn't matter under the specialty malt.

I might back down on the honey malt (it can lend a real "worty" sweetness) and put the roasted barley a bit to make sure it is firmly in stout territory.

I think you are fine with the hops/malt balance as is, stouts can take quite a bit of bitterness.

Good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Looks tasty to me. Do you just have a sack of pils? I'd tend to use Maris Otter or Pale, but it probably doesn't matter under the specialty malt.

I might back down on the honey malt (it can lend a real "worty" sweetness) and put the roasted barley a bit to make sure it is firmly in stout territory.

I think you are fine with the hops/malt balance as is, stouts can take quite a bit of bitterness.

Good luck.
I do have a sack of Pils and I'm running low on Pale malt.

I bumped the IBU from last time I brewed this recipe so I was a little worried it would be too much.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply