Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Big Belgian suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
BrewDey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Big Belgian suggestions?

My buddy is on the Appalachian Trail right now. He's one of our Bengals tailgate crew, but is going to miss the first 2 games because he'll still be hiking. I'd like to get a big beer started that could be busted out for his 1st game back (October 21).

I'm thinking a strong dark or strong golden Belgian extract...I've found some recipes but was wondering if you guys had any special favorites.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'd think I'd keep it to Dubble strength as I usually see recommendations of aging a Dark Strong for atleast 6 months if not a year. Even Dubbles are recommended to age for about 6 months.

Jamil has done an episode on his show about Belgian Dark Strong Ales. He seems to know what he is talking about given the number of awards his beers have won, so I'd recommend starting there.
The Jamil Show
Jamils Recipes

Craig

Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I brewed a dark strong not too long ago, it's still lagering. I used a pound of candi sugar, a pound of wheat, half pound of aromatic, half pound of caramunich, half pound of Special B, 2 pounds of Vienna, and 12 pounds of Pils. Did a huge, low, long mash (90 minutes at 147°), pitched a huge started of WLP550. 92% attenuation. Hallertau and Tettnager for bittering (29 IBUs), half-ounce of Saaz at 5 minutes. So far, it's tasty!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #4
phooka
Large Member

Recipes 

Just yesterday I just happened to break into one of my trappist quad's I did back in March. REAL nice. I don't recall offhand but I think it came to about 12%. You can really smell the alkeehaul. I am saving for Winter but just couldn't wait any longer and had to try one. Very nice, mild fruity flavors, no pucker at all. In another couple of months this will be awesome. It was a mini-mash trap quad from AHS. I think the only one they have..

dale

Old 07-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I brewed a dark strong not too long ago, it's still lagering. I used a pound of candi sugar, a pound of wheat, half pound of aromatic, half pound of caramunich, half pound of Special B, 2 pounds of Vienna, and 12 pounds of Pils. Did a huge, low, long mash (90 minutes at 147°), pitched a huge started of WLP550. 92% attenuation. Hallertau and Tettnager for bittering (29 IBUs), half-ounce of Saaz at 5 minutes. So far, it's tasty!
god, that sounds awesome. can u send me a bottle after it's aged a bit?

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply