Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > BIAB recipe questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
RVB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default BIAB recipe questions

I've only recently started brewing again and to date have brewed a brewer's best kit (turned out fine) a partial from a recipe I found here (turned out great) and finally a BIAB all grain that the jury is still out on.
My questions are, can I brew any all grain recipe using BIAB method without making any kind of adjustments (and if I do need to make adjustments, what are they?) and finally is it possible to convert a partial recipe to all grain? thanks for any advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB View Post
can I brew any all grain recipe using BIAB method without making any kind of adjustments
In my experience, yes, but I'm probably missing some exceptions. There are very few exceptions, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB View Post
is it possible to convert a partial recipe to all grain?
Absolutely. Replace a pound of DME with 1.7 pounds of base malt, and a pound of LME with 1.3 pounds of base malt. These numbers might vary depending on your efficiency, so you might want to use a calculator like Beer Calculus to dial these numbers in.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
RVB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS Brew View Post
In my experience, yes, but I'm probably missing some exceptions. There are very few exceptions, if any.

Absolutely. Replace a pound of DME with 1.7 pounds of base malt, and a pound of LME with 1.3 pounds of base malt. These numbers might vary depending on your efficiency, so you might want to use a calculator like Beer Calculus to dial these numbers in.
Thanks for the help. Time to get to work.

Quick Reply