Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bi Polar Bear >30% ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
brewingbound
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At 11.5% for 5 gallons...
.115 x 5 = .575 gallons of alcohol
.575 / 1 gallon = .575

Roughly 57.5% not counting any alcohol you may have removed during the freezing process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #12
MobyMD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, I also had some concerns about it. Before I brewed it I looked up some info about freezing. It is considered concentration not distilling because I am removing the water not the alcohol. So legally I think I am fine.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
MobyMD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the calculation brewingbound. I only wish it was 57%. I am sure I lost some alcohol with the water....who knows how much though. Drinks that are 40% and higher will light on fire. I tried to light it with a torch and it didn't go so we know it is under 40%.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #14
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm curious, how did your hop bitterness play out? You hopped this like a normal beer, but then concentrated it. If I tried this, I don't think I would even use hops, or perhaps just a small amount.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #15
MobyMD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Dbsmith, that is a good point. Yes the hop bitterness was concentrated too but so was the malt flavor and the leftover sugars. So over all it should still feel balanced. The small taste I had was not overly bitter. I'm afraid if you didnt use hops It would taste like malt syrup.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
brewingbound
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyMD
Thanks for the calculation brewingbound. I only wish it was 57%. I am sure I lost some alcohol with the water....who knows how much though. Drinks that are 40% and higher will light on fire. I tried to light it with a torch and it didn't go so we know it is under 40%.
Actually now that I think about it, what I did was a pretty bad estimate for freeze concentration... That flame test was a really good idea though. Hope you get it figured out

Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #17
roguemc
Recipes 

The water content that was removed, did it have any flavor or color? I am sure with some age from the oak, it will be delicious.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
MobyMD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Roguemc, the water that was removed did have color and taste. It tasted quite good actually (although very thin and no hint of alcohol). It tasted and looked like stout flavored water. After the first two freezes the beer didn't freeze solid and was more slushy. I let it drain until what was frozen turned white or at least got much lighter (which I hope means it was mostly water). I thought about saving it for something but I couldn't think of what to do with it. Ha ha I guess I could have bottled it and had it for people who wanted a beer but not the alcohol!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
roguemc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyMD View Post
Ha ha I guess I could have bottled it and had it for people who wanted a beer but not the alcohol!
Like a scottish Odouls.. you could have something there

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
MobyMD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I took another very small taste and it is already very oaky. I dont want that to over power the other flavors so i might not leave that in much longer. I figured it would go fast because I put 1oz of Dark Oak chip in only 1 gallon. It had a distinct oak flavor but hints of some citrus, fruit, black currant, coffee and chocolate. I think the flavors will mellow and meld with time. I will also take some time for the alcohol bite to settle down and not slap you across the face.

Depending on how this one turns out I will have to try it again do some of the suggestions like letting it condition longer and saving the discarded liquid. I also have a recipe clone from Brewdog that is one of their DIPAs. I am considering freeze concentrating that one next time. Although that would just be punishingly bitter.

Quick Reply