Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Best wheat malt for a witbier?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Best wheat malt for a witbier?

Are the best choices for a wit unmalted wheat and torrified wheat? Do these need extra diastatic power? I ask as my current working grain bill is roughly

4# Pilsner
3.5# unmalted or torrified wheat
6 oz Aromatic
3 oz Acidulated Malt
(add in 1 tblsp of wheat flour per gallong (5) at 10 mins remaining in the boil)

Thanks,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
krugulitis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Are the best choices for a wit unmalted wheat and torrified wheat? Do these need extra diastatic power? I ask as my current working grain bill is roughly

4# Pilsner
3.5# unmalted or torrified wheat
6 oz Aromatic
3 oz Acidulated Malt
(add in 1 tblsp of wheat flour per gallong (5) at 10 mins remaining in the boil)

Thanks,
Phillip
I was just about to post about a wit i plan on brewing this weekend. I have read raw wheat gives the best flavor and is more traditional - however you would likely need to do a separate cereal mash. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugulitis View Post
I was just about to post about a wit i plan on brewing this weekend. I have read raw wheat gives the best flavor and is more traditional - however you would likely need to do a separate cereal mash. Good luck!
As I understand it raw wheat does indeed give the best flavor and you need to use 1.5 as much malted wheat at least to get a similar amount of wheat flavor. I was under the initial impression that torrified wheat is perhaps the best option for wit & bavarian wheats. Torrified mashes much better than the raw stuff also... what to do... what to do.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Are you really planning on adding flour to the BOIL? I am not well versed in such things but I can't imagine the purpose of that. Where did you hear of it and what is it for?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
Are you really planning on adding flour to the BOIL? I am not well versed in such things but I can't imagine the purpose of that. Where did you hear of it and what is it for?
I've never brewed a wit before. However there is a propensity for the bier to drop clear over time, or to lose it's chill haze as it warms in the glass. The flour at a suggested dosing of 1 tablespoon per gallon keeps the witbier nice and wit as it were. It's just insurance to keep a nice haze in the bier.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Cool, I would have never contemplated that. I'm not sure if I could get my head around it but it sounds like it would do what you want it to do. I never really cared much about clarity but I can see how this more closely resembles the profile.
Thanks for the info

Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Brewskii, it should be noted I don't really recall where I've come across that suggestion before, perhaps ran across it here or from Jamil whom I used to listen to with regularity.

Also at this point I've decided on torrified wheat over raw. Question is, is there a 'need' for a protein rest on torrified wheat as there is with raw wheat? My understanding is 'no' there isn't a need for it, I couldn't find a quick answer with a brief search of hbt, but didn't want to wind up with motor oil consistency wit.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
Cool, I would have never contemplated that. I'm not sure if I could get my head around it but it sounds like it would do what you want it to do. I never really cared much about clarity but I can see how this more closely resembles the profile.
Thanks for the info
I just added 3 tsp flour mixed with 1/2 cup water last night to my Blood Orange hefe. The flour gives no taste and gives a permanent haze, this is widely known.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Unmalted wheat is traditional for Wits while malted wheat is traditional for hefe's. There is no need for any special rests* when using unmalted modified wheat such as flacked or torrified wheat as the starch is already water soluble via the heat which the wheat is subjected to during the modification process.

*other than the obvious saccharification rest

Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
homebrewhaha
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Palmer
Flaked Wheat Unmalted wheat is a common ingredient in wheat beers, including: American Wheat, Bavarian Weisse, and is essential to Belgian Lambic and Wit. It adds starch haze and high levels of protein. Flaked wheat adds more wheat flavor "sharpness" than malted wheat. Use 0.5-2 lb. per 5 gal batch. Must be mashed with base malt.
I was looking into this as well and came across this. Based on that information I would assume that adding flour is unnecessary when you're already getting plenty of haze from your grist, though I doubt it would hurt.

Quick Reply