Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Best Substitute's for Centennial?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
TriggerFingers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Best Substitute's for Centennial?

Many places are out of Centennial right now until the next harvest, so I put in a hop order and got just about everything else (Cascade, Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight, HBC 342, Willamette, etc.)

A couple of recipe's I am looking at call for Centennial. I have heard that a combo of Cascade and Columbus would work, but what do you think the best substitute is? More Cascade? Cascade + Amarillo?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'd say Columbus. Centennial isn't quite as citrusy as Cascade or Amarillo. Cascade plus Columbus might be a decent blend, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I wouldn't stress about this too much. Go with any combo of the following or even a lone hop off this list... Cascade, Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe. -- Pure Amarillo is actually the least like Centennial of those five hops since it's quite unique in its own right, but still more similar to Centennial than say Willamette. Amarillo shares some of its juicy fruitiness with Centennial, but that's about it. By using mostly citrusy Cascade used in conjunction with a touch Amarillo would help to round that out. You'll get a bit more dankness from straight Columbus. More earth from Chinook, and more pine cone character from Simcoe.

Quick Reply