New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Best Results For Fruit Flavoring In Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
MrShinyCadillacness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best Results For Fruit Flavoring In Beer?

I recently made a Cherry Wheat, used the recipe a local brew store supplied. And for the cherry flavoring, I added a small .125 oz bottle of concentrated cherry flavor. It was alright, but the cherry taste was somewhat artificial to me.

What do you guys do to add a certain fruit flavor? Diced Fruits? A Puree? Concentrated Flavoring? Also could you just add a kool aid packet? lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
SewerRanger
Recipes 

I'm curious for this one too. I'm looking to add a lot of extra banana kick to a hefewiezen and was wondering what and at what time would be the best to add some variation of banana flavoring.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #3
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I don't make fruit beers but have heard that the Oregon fruit purees are the way to go. Some of the artificial flavors are better then others - and I believe cherry is one of the worst...

Another trick I have heard is to use the purees or real fruit and then do a final adjustment of the flavour with the artificial stuff if needed.

GT

Old 02-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I have never made a fruit beer because I dont like them, However I have seen pretty promenent members on here suggest real fruit cut up and put into the secondary.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #5
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should listen to the Jamil Show on fruit beers. He claims to have made 3 versions of the same fruit beer and flavored with the Oregon fruit puree, one with real fruit, and one with extract then had the crew at B3 sample it. The results were that the puree was the best.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #6
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I like using real fruit only, not that Oregon/puree isn't real fruit, but I like using real fresh fruit.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I've made a number of them (check the recipe under my signature). I like using fresh fruits but there are things to consider. Extracts seem to hold their flavor better while real fruit flavors will evolve more. Real fruits give you nice colors while extracts do not. And I feel like there is a certain artificiality in the extract flavors - hard to pin down.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
skeeordye11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could we make this a poll? Extract, Real/Frozen Fruit, or Puree. Planning a Blackberry Hefe and I'd like to gather the general consensus. I've only ever used the extract and I wasn't real pleased with the results.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Here is one more vote for real fruit only!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Real fruit puree in the secondary worked well for me. It did not have a "fake" flavor like artificial flavoring does and it was a subtle aftertone instead of an overpowering fruit flavor, just like I wanted.

I pureed peaches and held it at about 160F for 10 minutes or so to pasteurize it. Put that in secondary and it took off like crazy. Make sure you have a blowoff tube!

Quick Reply