*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Best Oktoberfest reciple?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Kharz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best Oktoberfest reciple?

Hey guys -

Ive got tons of grains on hand (vienna, munich); 7L of Oktoberfest starters and 1 pount of german hops from hopsdirect.com

I was going to use a recipe for an Oktoberfest that I found online, but Ive seen so much variation in different recipes. Can anyone direct me to their favorite one ...?

I am brewing 20 gallosn on Saturday night .... !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharz View Post
Hey guys -

Ive got tons of grains on hand (vienna, munich); 7L of Oktoberfest starters and 1 pount of german hops from hopsdirect.com

I was going to use a recipe for an Oktoberfest that I found online, but Ive seen so much variation in different recipes. Can anyone direct me to their favorite one ...?

I am brewing 20 gallosn on Saturday night .... !
The best? Everybody has their own idea on this. Here's mine: Modern German fest brews are fairly light in color, more of a bumped up Munich Helles. American versions tend to be darker, like old style German brews, but they use too much crystal malt. I like 75% Munich and 25% Pils with an OG in the high 50s, IBUs in the mid 20s with German noble hops derived from one early bittering addition and one at 20 minutes or so to get a touch a flavor and a whisp of hop aroma to support the maltiness. Mash on the low side to get a dry finish (fest beers are malty, not sweet) and use one of the Southern German/Munich/Bock yeasts from Wyeast or White Labs.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Here is a decent article on brewing Oktoberfest beers. Note the Wyeast tech comments regarding yeast...I used WY2278 in mine (Marzen) but it won't be ready until August or so. I like WY2124 too...used that in my Bock.

Very often it seems my approach is exactly the same as BigEds and this is no exception. Mostly Munich malt with some Pils malt...you could use some Dark Munich depending on the color you're shooting for. If you do decide to use some Crystal use something like Caramunich and not much.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

For yeast, if you want to use a dry strain, you might consider Saflager W34/70 (2 packs per 5 gallons). Good temperature control from the start is very important (for any lager yeast). I agree with SCA and BigEd on the grist.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 04-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
For yeast, if you want to use a dry strain, you might consider Saflager W34/70 (2 packs per 5 gallons).
That's what the WY2124 is...I forgot there is a dry version.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

For whatever it's worth: I co-brewed a Marzen with a friend; he used 2206 and I used 2124. The 2206 batch placed first in the SW Regionals, mine was an also ran with mediocre scores and no flaws. The 2206 beer had more character and the malt came through nicely. The 2124 was pretty neutral tasting. I like 2124 for Helles, but will use 2206 for future O-Fest.

KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So korndog, care to dig up that recipe?

Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrr81765 View Post
So korndog, care to dig up that recipe?
No, problem. Let me just make sure my brew partner doesn't mind sinceit's essentially his recipe. Also FYI, we did pull a decoction.

KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Quick Reply