Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Best Cara/Crystal for IPA/APA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Headcutter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best Cara/Crystal for IPA/APA

Just wondering which level of caramel malt people think is the "best" when making a hoppy beer. I usually use 40, but I wouldn't mind getting some of the colour of a higher L malt.

I know some people don't like crystal malts. That's fine, but I would like to hear from the people who do use them.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
bjohnson29
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sometimes I use as high as 80L crystal malt in my IPAs...I just use a lot less of it. Depends on the flavor you're looking to impart.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

I use crystal 40L the most in APAs, but one of the things I've enjoyed is mixing it up. I've found that "layering" the crystal malts really gives a depth of flavor that I love. For example, .5 pound of 20L and .5 pound of 60L. Or, .75 pound 40L and .25 pound of 120L. I have one IPA recipe that uses quite a bit of crystal malt, and I don't have the recipe right in front of me so I"m guessing, but I think it's got about .5 pound 20L and .5 pound 80L.

I'd suggest trying something like that- it provides some interesting depth without being too sweet.

sonex Likes This 
Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I usually try to shoot for around 7-8% Crystal 20 in my IPAs/APAs. For some reason I just don't like the darker stuff with hoppy beers.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I usually use .5 lb c60, but I also use 2 lbs of vienna to round it out...I feel like just 2row and 60 doesn't give me the depth I'm looking for. Layering the crystals sounds like a great option, too

Old 07-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
heyblinkin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with the Vienna Malt comment. Though not a crystal malt it gives off great color and flavor to the beer. I use 2 lbs of vienna along, 10 oz of crystal 20, and 8 oz of carapils in my IPA. (5 gallon batch)

Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I use crystal 40L the most in APAs, but one of the things I've enjoyed is mixing it up. I've found that "layering" the crystal malts really gives a depth of flavor that I love. For example, .5 pound of 20L and .5 pound of 60L. Or, .75 pound 40L and .25 pound of 120L. I have one IPA recipe that uses quite a bit of crystal malt, and I don't have the recipe right in front of me so I"m guessing, but I think it's got about .5 pound 20L and .5 pound 80L.

I'd suggest trying something like that- it provides some interesting depth without being too sweet.
I totally agree with you Yooper. I like to use crystal 10 and 20 with vienna. sometimes I'll sub the vienna for munich 1 The layering creates a more complex malt profile.

Quick Reply