Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Best All Grain IPA recipes on the forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
dylanphelan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Best All Grain IPA recipes on the forum

Hi - I am fairly new to brewing and the forum...

I've done 3 AG batches now and am keen to try an IPA next.

I'd like some recommendations from forum members on your favourite IPA recipes.

Please point me in the right direction

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Maybe describe the type of IPA that you like? Everyone has their own preferences. American IPA? English IPA? Do you enjoy caramel flavors in your IPA, or do you prefer it finish drier?

You can try searching through the recipe database. But being that you're a new all grain brewer, I'll suggest a SMaSH (single malt and single hop) brew. There's no better way to learn the flavor from individual ingredients, and you get to drink an incredible IPA as a result.

If you're interested, I'd recommend Marris Otter malt, then just pick an American hop that you like (Columbus, Centennial, Amarillo, etc.)

Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Look in the recipe database....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/

and read the comments for several of the recipes. You will get a good idea of which ones are good and well liked. There are several recipes in there that are very good. It just depends what you like.

If you like Centennial hops I can definitely recommend the Bell's Two Hearted clone. It is a very tasty brew.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
cpferris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Not the threadjack the OP, but since I was interested in posting a similar thread....I thought I might ask a couple questions here as well.

I am also looking for the some IPA recipes. I have one all grain batch under my belt and that was the Zombie Dust clone in the recipe database. I want to get a few more batches under my belt to better learn my equipment before I start branching out on my own recipe formulations.

As for my specific likes, my favorite IPA/DIPAs are Blind Pig, Pliny, all the Hill Farmstead IPA/APAs, all the Alpine IPAs, Sucks, Heady, Celebration, varios Rye Pale Ales. On hand I have 1 pound of all of the following hops: Cascade, Columbus, Citra, Amarillo and Centennial.

Does any one have a nice recipes that showcase those hops? I'd prefer to use the hops I have on hand, but would be ok with buying a few ounces of something else if necessary.

I do not like most east coast style "balanced" IPAs (ie anything from Dogfish Head, etc).

Any suggestions?

Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 668 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 591

My personal favorite DIPA recipe from this site is the Stone Ruination clone recipe. It uses entirely Centennial hops, with a small amount of Magnum for bittering (but I've substituted Warrior with great results). I just brewed 10 more gallons of it a week and a half ago, actually. It's a real winner, in my opinion.

Quick Reply