New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bergamot Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #31
mikelikesit2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just made a Peat smoked Earl grey porter. This is the second time I have made it. The first time was a 5 gallon batch, and I dumped the contents of 15 tea bags into the secondary. It was good, the Peat Smoked malt was a little dominating, but good Earl grey flavor.

The second time I halved the Peat Smoked malt, and doubled the tea. But this time I found some White Earl grey tea at a tea store in the mall. This white tea is less bitter. This was a 10 gallon batch that I split, half with WLP001 and the other with WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale. Both batches of this beer turned out really well.

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Peat-Smoked Earl Grey Porter
Brewer: Michael
Asst Brewer:
Style: Other Smoked Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 15.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 13.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 35.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 69.0 %
2 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.9 %
2 lbs Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.9 %
2 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.9 %
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.7 %
8.0 oz Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 7 1.7 %

1.50 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 15.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 9 18.2 IBUs

2.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
2.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 5.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 3.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 13 -
3.00 oz White Earl Grey Tea (Secondary 7.0 days) Spice 14 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 29 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 40.27 qt of water at 162.5 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 20.31 qt of water at 203.9 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.34 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Build My Photo Gallery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #32
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Interesting.

Have you ever tea smoked anything? I think Alton Brown might have done it, but years ago I used tea to smoke a chicken breast and it was awesome. And couple years back I tea smoked some grain, but I forgot about it and never used it in a beer. But I wonder how tea smoking some grain would with the earl grey would be. Also I wonder what tea smoking a little peated malt would be like, if it would mellow the harshness.

Tea smoking a chicken breast with Earl Grey.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 03-28-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Added link for teak smoking

Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
SKBrewer
Recipes 

I tea smoked a duck a couple of months ago I didn't get it as smokey as I'd like. I doubt that the unique character of the earl grey would carry through in smoke form.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #34
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 478

I can't believe I missed this post...I picked up some oil in the North End of Boston a few months back...I actually wasn't that big of a fan of it but they did have a jelly/marmalade there as well I might try again...no idea of the name of the store but its by Hanover street

Old 01-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #35
thelusiv
Recipes 

I'm curious how ajwillly's beer with Bergamot oil turned out. I think the way to figure out the rate of addition would be to finish the beer, and before bottling or after kegging, add the oil by drops to a pint, then scale that amount up to flavor the entire batch. Randy Mosher talks about using this method to add "potions" (spices soaked in liquor) to beer in Radical Brewing. I also wonder how effective Bergamot peel in vodka would be at extracting the flavor for use in beer (but, I wonder how to get ahold of Bergamots...)

Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #36
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelusiv View Post
I'm curious how ajwillly's beer with Bergamot oil turned out. I think the way to figure out the rate of addition would be to finish the beer, and before bottling or after kegging, add the oil by drops to a pint, then scale that amount up to flavor the entire batch. Randy Mosher talks about using this method to add "potions" (spices soaked in liquor) to beer in Radical Brewing. I also wonder how effective Bergamot peel in vodka would be at extracting the flavor for use in beer (but, I wonder how to get ahold of Bergamots...)
I could see it had potential but I used way too much. I was thinking it was on the low side, but it was not... That stuff is potent. It had a strong Pine-Sol quality. I used 1/2 tbsp of the oil for a 5 gallon batch. I had arrived at that amount by testing a pint with a 1 ml syringe (0.1 ml increments) and then did what I thought was the low end. The problem is the amounts of oil are so small, its almost impossible to do it at a small scale. I want to do it again, but I'd probably do another "scale" batch by brewing a regular beer and then adding it to a growler and using a very precise pipette to add the oil. That might be a project for the spring.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #37
jbergamini
Recipes 

Default Results change over time

My experience: I made a pretty standard oatmeal stout, and put 20 bags of Earl Grey from Trader Joe's (minus the tags and strings) into the keg at kegging time, after about 3 weeks in primary. It was pretty good after a week, really nice after 2, and is a bit overwhelming in tea/bergamot after 3 and 4 weeks. Maybe it will settle down now, if I let it sit long enough. So far, it seems like more time with the tea bags ==> stronger flavoring.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #38
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Use Aramis hops. Try additions of 10-20 min. I noticed a oil of bergamont aroma and flavor from them. Not at all what I wanted, but not bad. They are modestly floral and herbal. Would work very nicely with a darker beer.

Quick Reply