Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bergamot Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #21
bhatchable
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No, just as mentioned earlier add it drop at a time at bottling. it is done fermenting at this time and you have the benefit of using just a few drops per 5 gallon batch, enough for anything from a subtle hint to a dominant flavor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #22
Aviciouswind
Recipes 

Bottled this past weekend.

Another week or so in the secondary wouldn't hurt, but I'm hoping to open the first bottle on Christmas with my brother.

Tasted some leftovers from the bottling process and was very impressed. Nice spicy flavour with a delightful hint of citrus in the aftertaste.

Off the top of my head, things I would change about my recipe for next time:

-Add Maltodextrin. The mouth-feel of the beer is super light. I think it could do with a bit more weight to it.
-More fermentables. Haven't decided what yet, but I'd like to get the alcohol content up to 4.5%
-Ditch the Bergamot Extract. I feel liek steeping more teabags would get me the desired result without dabbling with the extract. The stuff is really potent and I'd suggest steering clear if you can.

I'll be back with another update after conditioning! Thanks again for all the help!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #23
Chard
Recipes 

Cmon man i wanna know how this turned out!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #24
Aviciouswind
Recipes 

Default Whoops, forgot to update!

The beer is a hit! Everyone that's tasted it says it's my best to date. Probably because it's the most interesting beer I've brewed.

The color is a nice, murky amber. Definitely has the characteristics of a Belgian Wit.

Head retention is good, despite some of my earlier apprehensions.

Aroma is quite spicy with a hint of citrus.

The flavor is great. Very clean and crisp. The cloves steal the show a bit more than I would have liked them to, but you can definitely taste the earthy tones of the bergamot if you're looking for it.

Age is also making the beer better. The longer I wait to open a bottle, the more the flavor has mellowed. I have about a case left I'm trying to save for next year and I'm excited to see what happens.

All in all, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I plan on making another batch in the next few months with how well it's been received. Good luck to anyone trying it on their own!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #25
machinelf
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Nice, thanks for the update!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #26
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Hey Aviciouswind,
Been reading through this thread and I'm wondering why you would avoid the bergamot oil? I recently got some to add directly to a beer specifically because it was potent. I see you used 1 tablespoon, which seems like ALOT to me. I wasn't going to add any earl grey, just bergamot. Anyway, I've been searching all over the web for a starting point of how much to add.. so far, this is the only place I can find where someone's added it to their beer and then responded back with how it was.

If I don't hear back, I suppose I'll just do some dosing tests to try to come up with a good amount.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #27
Aviciouswind
Recipes 

Ajwillys,

If you don't plan on adding any tea to your mix, 1tbsp won't be too much. I worked out well for me, and I got a lot of the orange coming through in the aroma. The reason why I would brew it without the oil next time is because I wanted to get more flavor from the tea.

This beer ended up being one of my favorites. Looking back, i think I'd still want to add soem maltodextrin to the recipe and taper back on my clove content. Good luck with whatever you end up making!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #28
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I'm really just experimenting. I'm using a pilsner malt with a kolsch yeast as a base since its pretty neutral but will be scaling up the ABV (and IBU's to keep BU:GU even) to around 8%.

I'm hoping the bergamot will provide a good amount of orange, but I'm also interested in what it will do the beer as a partial replacement for flavor/aroma hops. The reason I mention that is because I noticed the two main components of bergamot oil are linalyl acetate (30% to 60%) and linalool (11% to 22%). Linalool is an essential oil of hops and is responsible for the citrusy/fruity component. Linalyl acetate is responsible for the floral component in hops.

Anyway, should be a good experiment nonetheless. Thanks for the advise. I have 1 ounce so I could do up to twice what you did, but I'd rather not push it too far. I'm going to do some more research, but might stick with 1 tbsp as you did.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #29
SKBrewer
Recipes 

I'm making a wit at the moment that I plan on spiking with some earl grey at bottleing. We tried a couple of variations of tea mixed with a commercial wit to see what we like best and our favorite was a tea made with a cold steep for about 10 minutes so I'm going to try something like that. Not sure exactly how much I'm going to use yet, I guess I'll just make a strong tea and add it bit by bit till I get something I like.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #30
SKBrewer
Recipes 

So my earl grey wit is in the bottles now. I got better efficiency than planed and boiled of more than planned so it ended up having an OG 0f 1.067 so it's more of an imperial wit, It finished at 1.009. I used wyeast 3944 Belgian wit yeast.

For the earl grey I decided to just throw 10 teabags into the bottling bucket (There was only about 4 1/4 gallons at bottling). I've tasted one bottle and it seems pretty good, nice earl grey flavor and the color is only a little on the dark side. If I did it again I'd use a few more teabags, maybe 15 or 20 in a full 5 gallons.

Quick Reply