Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bell's Two-Hearted And Founders Centennial IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Bell's Two-Hearted And Founders Centennial IPA

I'm leaning more towards doing a Bell's clone of an all-Centennial IPA, but Founders has a little more going on; any ideas on the differences between them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Those are my two favorite Ipas..And I swing back and forth on them. Nearest I can discern, founder's is a tad more floral in the taste and the smell, or more like floral than citrussy...Whereas two hearted is more citrussy than floral.

Which is weired because they are both all centennial IPA's...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Gee...is it just you and me who have tried them both? Are we the only people who care? I am hoping to find out the dealy on this as well...

This is interesting. Bell's Two Hearted Ale - Tasting & Recipe

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Two Hearted is a nice centennial bomb. Seems very well balanced to me, not harsh at all, plenty of malt/body to stand up to the IBUs. I haven't had the Founders, I haven't found it yet. No pun intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I love the Founder's variety and the reason I fell in love with Centennial hops. It is implied, or at least as far as I am concerned, from the Founder's website that they do a huge amount of late addition of hops where as bell's seems just the 60,20,5,0 additions based on some of the clone recipes. but who knows.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Gee...is it just you and me who have tried them both? Are we the only people who care? I am hoping to find out the dealy on this as well...

This is interesting. Bell's Two Hearted Ale - Tasting & Recipe
Probably. I started this at Tastybruw and got some interest, but no revelations (no pun intended).

I get a cleaner, drier finish from the Bell's; the Founder's seems to have an earthier or 'dirty' taste, more complex, perhaps from a bit of black barley or something similar, not to a threshold of obvious dark roast, but I can't think of what else it's from.

Sometimes I like the cleaner Bell's, sometimes I prefer the more complex Founder's. I'm not looking at just cloning on or the other, but I want a standard home recipe for an all Centennial IPA, based on the simplicity of the Bell's.

My guess is standard 2-row and crystal40L, only, bittered early and not often, and then a 0 and med-heavy DH.

My guess to the Founder's is pale ale base, lighter crystal, and >maybe< a touch of RB (or something), then sequential additions, through to 0, and heavily dry-hopped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 12-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Skoper
Recipes 

These are two great beers that Michigan has to offer. Funny thing. I have a know it all friend that says the Founders is the best beer he ever had and hates the two hearted. He is not a home brewer and has no clue that they almost the same beer. I think next time he is over I am going to serve him a two hearted but show him an empty fonders

Old 12-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I also love both of these beers and you got to love a brewery that uses locally grown hops.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 12-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
wrestler63
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoper View Post
These are two great beers that Michigan has to offer. Funny thing. I have a know it all friend that says the Founders is the best beer he ever had and hates the two hearted. He is not a home brewer and has no clue that they almost the same beer. I think next time he is over I am going to serve him a two hearted but show him an empty fonders
I have to agree. I like the Founders, but would only drink a two hearted if there wasnt another IPA around. There is a big difference to my palate.
Cheers

Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
...and you got to love a brewery that uses locally grown hops.
+1

Alot to be said for that.

Quick Reply