Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > bells two hearted ale EXTRACT recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
a_w_taylor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

@flabyboy

1.058 - 1.018 for 5.3%

I am going to try this with the Bell's yeast I harvested from a bottle. I just started the harvest last night. I think I want to do the extract again and then the AG with some of the slurry while washing the rest of the yeast for future batches. It might take a while as I just brewed Yooper's AG Dead Guy clone last night. The hall passes from SWMBO don't come about that frequently...

It's cold, tasty and I made it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #22
obie_fl
Recipes 

I just did an AG Two Hearted Clone Saturday. I harvested the yeast from two bottles of the real thing. Did a 1/2 liter starter and then stepped up to a 1 liter. All I can say is I'm lucky I used a blow off tube, it was pumping away like a rabid beast Sunday morning.

Primary: Bavarian Hefeweizen Primary 2: Empty
Bottled: Coconut Porter, Chocolate Milk Stout, Fat Tire Clone, AHS Golden Palisades IPA, AHS Stormcastle Brown, Dead Guy Clone.
Kegged: Two Hearted Ale Clone , Mirror Pond Clone, AHS Piloncillo Brown Ale, Pliny Clone (Carbing).

Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #23
iamdaph
Recipes 

Would you use the same recipe for a 3 gallon boil, then add 2 gallons at fermentation?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
jojomonkey
Recipes 

Has anyone tried this extract Two hearted clone lately? Which hop schedule did you use?

I assume I'll be able to use the same quantities of DME for a 5 gallon boil, correct?

Thanks,

Old 01-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomonkey View Post
Has anyone tried this extract Two hearted clone lately? Which hop schedule did you use?

I assume I'll be able to use the same quantities of DME for a 5 gallon boil, correct?

Thanks,
7.5 lbs DME for a full boil, yes. I've only brewed this recipe AG, but I used the same hopping schedule that Yooper posted and it turned out fantastic.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #26
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Perhaps not a clone, but I recently brewed this partial mash recipe and it is very, very similar to Two Hearted (I'm about half way through my keg now). A lot of hops I know, but using less in the past has not given me the flavor and aroma I want. I do a 3.5 gallon boil.

Grain/Extract
3 lbs Marris Otter
8 oz Munich 10L
3 lbs Muntons Light DME (Added before boil)
3 lbs Muntons Light DME (Added in the last 15 minutes)

Hop Schedule (All Pellets)
2 oz Centennial @ 60 min
1 oz Centennial @ 15 min
1 oz Centennial @ 5 min
1 oz Centennial @ 2 min
1 oz Centennial @ 1 min
2 oz Centennial @ Flame out (Steeped for 15 minutes)
2 oz Citra @ Dry hop

Yeast
Safale US-05, 1 Pint Starter

Primary 10 days. Secondary with dry hop for 13 days.

Readings
OG - 1.059
FG - 1.011
ABV - 6.3%

I got poor efficiency I believe due to not rinsing my grain thoroughly enough. I usually get 60% which would have put my readings right at 1.064 and 7% assuming it still finished at 1.011.

Obviously, they don't use Citra in Two Hearted for their dry hop, but just use Centennial in it's place and it should be quite close.

Last edited by Robin0782; 01-09-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #27
GetReady
Recipes 

Default Secondary Question

I brewed this recipe this weekend and had a couple questions/advice. My question is a little brewing generic, as I've only made a few batches with varying results.

I did a 5 gallon boil with:
6lb DME
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (15L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils

Hop Schedule (47 IBU)

1/2 oz. - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (45 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (30 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (15 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Centennial (Dry Hop)

So now that it's brewed I was wondering if/when I should move it to a secondary? What's the advantage? And when do I do it? One person mentioned 10 days in. I assume I add the Dry Hops at that point? I've never done the secondary carboy before.

And when do I go for the bottling? Typically I wait 2~3 weeks as instructed. A friend suggested this could be why I'm getting some off results, that I'm letting it sit too long.

Thanks for helping out a bit of a novice. I want to get focused and start getting some good brews going without having a "off" taste.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
jdubb75
Recipes 

This used to be called Three Hearted Ale, but the powers that be didn't like the nod to their brew. So, I bring you...Dead Ringer IPA. I brewed it...it was good. I never did do a back to back tasting with Two Hearted though. I've had it many times, but never thought to do a comparison. I guess I didn't really care how close it was because it tasted great. With 68 reviews and a 5-star rating, I'm guess a few others liked it as well.

Dead Ringer IPA Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains - Extract Ale Kits - Extract Kits - Recipe Kits - Brewing : Northern Brewer

Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #29
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubb75 View Post
This used to be called Three Hearted Ale, but the powers that be didn't like the nod to their brew. So, I bring you...Dead Ringer IPA. I brewed it...it was good. I never did do a back to back tasting with Two Hearted though. I've had it many times, but never thought to do a comparison. I guess I didn't really care how close it was because it tasted great. With 68 reviews and a 5-star rating, I'm guess a few others liked it as well.

Dead Ringer IPA Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains - Extract Ale Kits - Extract Kits - Recipe Kits - Brewing : Northern Brewer
That was the very first beer I ever made. It turned out pretty good!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #30
PassTheBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Good base, but for a 3 gallon boil, I'd change up the hopping. In my mind, I'd do a full ounce of hops at each addition, except for the 45& 30 minute additions which I'd leave out.

My hops schedule would be:
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min)

1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Also, add 1/2 the extract at the beginning, and the other 1/2 at the end of the boil. That should give you a nice hoppy IPA.
sorry to bring this thread back to life but Yooper I took your advice on my Citra IPA and everything is turning out very well. I was hoping you could give me the extract recipe for a 5 gal boil

Quick Reply