Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bells Oberon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #41
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the detailed write-up. I will be practicing my decoction skills in the near future with this recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 05:03 AM   #42
Cryptochronolite
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Awesome.

First of all, I had no idea brewsmith was such good software, your brew notes make met wet.
Second, I was worried about the abby ale II and curious about the 1272. I am glad it worked out okay for you. I think the yeast from the bottle really sets this one down.
Questions: Do you think that the decoction 1.) contributes to the correct maltyness for oberon? 2.) maybe contributes to the (albeit slightly) darker 1srm or so in color? Or (since we are going for perfection here in a clone) do you think that there maybe something in your equipment that may change this?

Also, your ferment temps - I ferment at (primary and secondary) at 65F. Do you think that your higher temps might add the ghost "astringency?" I may not have nearly as sensitive taste buds so discerning the difference between the real oberon and this recipe may not be possible for me.

In a double-blind taste test, I was able to only tell which beer was "fresher" tasting, I was not able to tell which one was oberon, so I correctly guessed that mine was the fresher of the two. My BF and his miller-light drinking buddy were unable to tell the difference at all.

As a side note, a BJCP judge gave me 41.25 points for this clone, so you seem to be a good critic - or at least as accurate as a bjcp judge.

Two last questions, and this is along the lines of the first ones, but just for personal notes:

Do you think that the decoction changed this beer flavor profile closer to oberon than without a decoc?

Do you think that decoction is worth it, in general, as far as taste and complexity are concerned (vs. cleaning and mash moving)?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #43
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well my notes are not all from BrewSmith I use Kaiser's brewlog which can be found at braukaiser.com and the efficiency analysis is also from Kaiser. The first two sheets are what Brewsmith gives me and I use them as guides for my brewday and use the brewlog to record what actually happens. I am still getting better at note taking and finding it is making me a much better brewer.

I would say the 1272 was a good option but would not recommend the 1762 Abbey II.

The balance of sweet maltiness and hops was very good. I have not done a non-deco brew of this to compare, but I can tell you the flavor profile was very similar. Some slight darkening will occur with a deco and I had my deco in the pot for a long time so I could have seen more darkening than your regular single decoction. I doubt my equipment contributed to any darkening, I have a very high quality triple ply stockpot I use as my deco kettle and heat very slowly to avoid such problems. I think I simple got more color from a longer decoction.

I can definitely say that temperature is not the source of my astringency. I have sensed it over three batches now two of which were fermented in my fermentation chamber and fermented at the low end of the yeasts range. I need to find my problem but I have ruled that out. I am going to replace all plastic and clean my brewery down with bleach, I think that will do it.

I fancy myself a good judge of beer albeit a bit lenient at times. I think that score is very accurate, this is truly a good recipe.

I do think the deco lends a nice maltiness to this beer that would not be present otherwise. I did an enhanced single decoction because I am wary of leaving the mash in the protein range for more than 15 minutes, and my schedule allowed my to do a nice deco pull and jump out of the protein rest range quickly.

I think decoctions are worth it. The intangibles in a beer can only be brought out by subtle improvements in one's process and I feel decoctions are one of the things that can make the difference. Without a side-by-side it is impossible to tell, but I think the deco works very well here.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #44
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

As a vote of confidence for this recipe, I will be taking this to a six pack stimulus party I am attending soon. I don't normally subject the public to my beer as it is not normally very good. I feel comfortable putting this beer in a group with top tier professional beers.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #45
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

^ Congrats on your success.I'll be trying this one at some point for sure. And thanks for the link.That is a valuable tool for continuing success.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #46
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
As a vote of confidence for this recipe, I will be taking this to a six pack stimulus party I am attending soon. I don't normally subject the public to my beer as it is not normally very good. I feel comfortable putting this beer in a group with top tier professional beers.
One small step for homebrew, one slightly bigger step for this beer recipe.

They loved it. It was a big hit at the party and it has been demanded as the featured beer for next years party. Pretty cool.

The guy who throws the party is a senior partner at the law firm I work at so it is cool to get some street cred in the office.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #47
Cryptochronolite

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

phew. I was worried that you may have been biased. not that worried. okay... I wonder what recipe I should perfect next.

I am thinking fat tire. but there are some pretty good ones already out there.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:01 AM   #48
Cryptochronolite

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

wait that sounded pretentious. and stupid.

What I meant to say was, I love obsessing over the flavors of beers. I would like suggestions of what beer I can obsess over next.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #49
reefwreak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewSpook View Post
Crypto -

Hope you don't mind, I converted this to an extract so my FIL could take a crack at it. Here is what I came up with using stats for Briess DME.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
55% 3 14 Light Dry Malt Extract info 42 4
38% 2 10 Dry Wheat Extract info 42 3
7% 0 8 Dextrin (CaraPils) Malt info 33 2

Boil 45 mins 1.0 Saaz pellet 5.5
Boil 15 mins 1.0 Saaz pellet 5.5
Dry hop 14 days 1.0 Cascade leaf 5.5
Dry hop 14 days 0.5 Saaz leaf 3.5

Wyeast American Wheat (1010)
(will use harvested yeast from Oberon bottles)

Original Gravity
(1.051 to 1.059)
Final Gravity
(1.012 to 1.015)
Color
4° SRM
(Yellow)
12.8 HBU
18.9 IBU

5.7% A.B.V
186 per 12 oz

All calculations done on Hopville.com recipe generator

Thanks for the extract recipe, however when I plug it into beersmith, it comes up with TOTALLY different end results than what the hopville calculator came up with in the above post.

Beersmith gives:
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.015
Estimated Color: 9.6
IBUs: 35.3
ABV: 6.8%

Any thoughts? I tried plugging Boerderij_Kabouter's recipe into BS and then having it convert to extract, however it just said to use 56lbs of extract.... and I don't think that's correct.... So any thoughts on an extract recipe for this other than the suggested one, or any modifications to the suggested one? Anything tried and true? I'm looking to brew this for my best friend, since it's his favorite beer, and he always complains that it's too expensive to buy. Homebrew to the rescue!

Bottled: Year old Hefewisse
In secondary or aging: LHBS DFH 90 minute on-the-fly-made clone recipe
Next up: Thinking either deepsouth's 60 minute IPA or a nice quick blueberry wheat (Blue Paw clone) to end the summer with

I envy those of you who don't have to make a concerted effort to keep your fermentation vessels under 75 degrees....

Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #50
BrewSpook
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah I really need to get a copy of Beersmith or some other software. The generator at hopville, while nice and easy to use doesn't always seem to give me what I am looking for.

I think it would be easy to figure out using a piece of software like that if you stick with the percentages and do the conversions from the original recipe.

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Quick Reply