Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bells Oberon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #231
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Well, I didn't get around to brewing this until the other night. I went ahead and did a sparge after the final decoction/mashout and ended up with about 7 gal. for my pre-boil volume. After the boil and racking the beer to my fermenter, I am glad to say the OG reading I took was spot on at 1.059.

Also, glad to say my first attempt at harvesting yeast from Bells bottles was a success as my fermenter is happily bubbling away as I type this! I had some Wyeast as a backup in case there was no action from my harvested yeast, but I'm happy I didn't have to use it!

I've only made an extract clone of this beer and, while it was a good beer, it wasn't Oberon. I am stoked to see how this recipe turns out.

Btw, I love my holiday ales during the winter months, but it will be nice to be able to crack open some Oberons to remind me of summer during the doldrums of winter! Yet another reason I love homebrewing!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #232
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My second brew of this Oberon clone...

is in the secondary on dry hops. Plan to bottle on Tuesday Dec 12. Absolute final gravity is EXACTLY the same as the first batch 1011 maybe 1012. (My starting was 1055 or so). This second batch I used commercial yeast Wyeast 1272 as per recommended by my consul. Just a note to let you all know it is acting EXACTLY like my first batch using cultured Bell's yeast.
Jhoss

Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #233
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

Just ran into this thread (old one at that) and i did just read the WHOLE thing.. saw a lot of great looking recipes! I would love to point out though i saw cascade in every recipe but one.. and from talking to Larry (Bell) and what i read in "brewing with wheat" they quote larry saaz and hersbrucker(hallertau) for 26ibus and i know from talking to larry the "house" strain of yeast is not all the same.. amber, oberon and best brown are the same ones.. their pale isnt the same but is to clone hopslam or two hearted.. and they do bottle condition with the same fermentation yeast

dont get me wrong i love cascade and its a great way to make it your own.. but this was discussed as a "clone" recipe so i just thought i would set some stuff straight.. other than that lets keep it going! seeing some great stuff on here cant wait to brew mine up again

Tap 1: Honey Brown
Tap 2: American Barleywine
Tap 3: BBA Vanilla Chocolate Milk Stout
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #234
MMJfan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkringii View Post
Just ran into this thread (old one at that) and i did just read the WHOLE thing.. saw a lot of great looking recipes! I would love to point out though i saw cascade in every recipe but one.. and from talking to Larry (Bell) and what i read in "brewing with wheat" they quote larry saaz and hersbrucker(hallertau) for 26ibus and i know from talking to larry the "house" strain of yeast is not all the same.. amber, oberon and best brown are the same ones.. their pale isnt the same but is to clone hopslam or two hearted.. and they do bottle condition with the same fermentation yeast

dont get me wrong i love cascade and its a great way to make it your own.. but this was discussed as a "clone" recipe so i just thought i would set some stuff straight.. other than that lets keep it going! seeing some great stuff on here cant wait to brew mine up again
I used crypto's recipe from back on page 2 of this thread. All of my hop additions during the boil were Saaz like crypto's recipe. However, I too used Cascade for the dry hop for the aroma you get. My thinking was dry hopping with Cascade would give that citruicy flavor you get when you drink an Oberon.

As far as the yeast, this seems to be one of the most conflicting reports on this forum. I've read numerous posts from people in contact with the brewery that were told that most of the ales, including all the ones you listed above, use the same propietary strain of yeast and that they ferment the different beers at different temps to bring out different flavor profiles. I just dropped an email to the brewery to see what kind of response I get from them. Hopefully they can clarify some of these discrepancies.

I harvested yeast from a sixer of Bells Pale Ale (obviously no Oberon was available to harvest from in the middle of winter here in Ohio) for my first attempt at this recipe. It has been conditioning in the bottles for almost 2 weeks now and I cracked one open the other night just to see how it was coming along and I have to say, I am throroughly impressed! If the Pale Ale isn't the same propietary strain of yeast they use in Oberon, it's damn close...

Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #235
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The house strain is used in Pale Ale, Amber Ale, Two Hearted, Oarsman, Third Coast, Best Brown, Porter, Oberon and probably some others I missed. This was confirmed to me directly by one of the brewers. I've used Pale Ale for a culture before and it worked very well.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #236
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

Well larry told my boss and i that they have 2 seperate "house strains" (while golfing, so it wasnt like he was trying avoid "info") like i stated its not worth arguing about.. if u cloned it and it was good then more power to ya.. why we get to create this wonderful stuff!

Tap 1: Honey Brown
Tap 2: American Barleywine
Tap 3: BBA Vanilla Chocolate Milk Stout
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

MMJfan Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #237
MMJfan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkringii View Post
if u cloned it and it was good then more power to ya.. why we get to create this wonderful stuff!
Agreed! Isn't worth arguing about as long as we are happy with our finished product!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #238
Jhoss
Recipes 

Default I'm not thouroughly satisfied with the Oberon clone

It's nice and drinkable don't get me wrong. But, I had an Oberon at my pub then ran home and popped this clone. There is lots of differences, to the point I don't feel right saying "Hey! - try my Oberon clone"...now its just my hoppy wheat beer. Its nice, its my second batch and I will brew it again but there's got to be something else to get closer IMO.

Now on the Two Hearted clone - I have no problem with the "clone" connotation. It is very very close - close enough to be called clone for sure.

Jhoss

Old 01-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #239
MMJfan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoss View Post
It's nice and drinkable don't get me wrong. But, I had an Oberon at my pub then ran home and popped this clone. There is lots of differences, to the point I don't feel right saying "Hey! - try my Oberon clone"...now its just my hoppy wheat beer. Its nice, its my second batch and I will brew it again but there's got to be something else to get closer IMO.

Now on the Two Hearted clone - I have no problem with the "clone" connotation. It is very very close - close enough to be called clone for sure.

Jhoss
What did you do different between this batch and your last batch that you said was pretty much spot on? Could it be the yeast that made such a difference?

This was my first attempt at this recipe and I must say, I'm quite impressed. I don't have any Oberon to do a side by side, but it is quite tastey!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #240
Jhoss
Recipes 

Default Things done differently

The only difference between first batch and second batch? A side by side comparision. I didnt do this on the first batch - didn't feel compelled to - It is delicious in and of itself. But this last "chance happening" clued me into - " hey - this is not what I was drinking 10 minutes ago"

Quick Reply