Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bells Oberon Clone
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #221
starman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago Burbs, il
Posts: 460
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusAmongus View Post
I tried a clone from harvesting their yeast from an oberon bottle. Mine fermented at 68F and I feel like it was too clean so I would second the thought to ferment a bit warmer.
I let mine ride at 73-4 ambient and its got waaay too much citrus bite.

The culture was from a large volume of keg dregs and took off almost immediately so I think it was clean yeast but it almost tastes infected.
__________________
starman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #222
HIlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 47
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoss View Post
Well, I gave it a rip this weekend. A fine day. Some notes to help out any other newbies to this recipe or to decoction.
The recipe/ingredients.
6 lbs. 2 row (brewers malt)
4 lbs. American white wheat
.5 carapils (8 lovibond)

3 oz Saaz (3.5 % AA)
1 oz Cascade (5.5% AA)

Strike water original recipe called for 136 for a target rest at 133 for 15 mins) - I think the 136 was a typo - went to 146...nailed it. (10 gal. round cooler mash tun).
First Decoction, Original recipe called for pulling 3 qts, again, I think typo and qts. should be gallons and somewhat thick mash. Boil for up to 10 mins and add back to reach target temp of 155. Rest for 60 mins.

Second Decoction, pull 1 gallon bring to boil, return to reach target temp of 168 for 15 mins. (1 gallon aint enough - pull approx. 2).

I stirred (there is lots of stirring in I started the fly sparge. about 2/3rds of the way done, the runoff was frightenly clear. I stopped and stirred it up some more, vorloufed and continued.

The preboil volume (about 6.5) measured 1.052 (refractometer), boiled down to 1.058 in an hour...this is a long brew session - I was good with the 1058. (added 1 oz Saaz at 30 and 15 and got an ounce left with an ounce of Cascade to dry hop).

Pitched my Bells yeast reharvest. Check out the protein layer on top of the grist in the mash tun after draining...
I'm interested in what the final gravity of this was and how it tastes. Based on your explanation, you skipped the protein rest at 133 and mashed at ~143 for 15 min. Then, you pulled most of the mash (somewhere around 4 gallons total), boiled it, brought the main mash to around 185 for 60 minutes. I would think you would have extracted a crazy amount of tannins and potentially have an incomplete conversion after a 15 minute mash and such a long rest at high temperatures.

Did you check your mash temps after each decoction, or is your recap inaccurate?
__________________
HIlife is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #223
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wooster, OH, Ohio
Posts: 715
Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

Is it possible to try a clone of this using BIAB?

__________________
MMJfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #224
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central Part of the State..., WI
Posts: 1,570
Liked 97 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIlife View Post
I'm interested in what the final gravity of this was and how it tastes. Based on your explanation, you skipped the protein rest at 133 and mashed at ~143 for 15 min. Then, you pulled most of the mash (somewhere around 4 gallons total), boiled it, brought the main mash to around 185 for 60 minutes. I would think you would have extracted a crazy amount of tannins and potentially have an incomplete conversion after a 15 minute mash and such a long rest at high temperatures.

Did you check your mash temps after each decoction, or is your recap inaccurate?
I think your recap of the recap is innaccurate...

I read that he did not skip the protein rest but rather changed the temperature of the water from 136 to 146 in order to get the mash temp to 133.

Next he pulled the first decoction of about 3 gallons (instead of 3 qts which would not do anything) boiled it and then added it back to the mash in order to bring the temperature up to 155°.

2nd decoction he brought 1 gallon of the grist to a boil and then added it back in order to bring the mash temp up to 168°.

Nowhere do I see that he mashed in at 185°. Either you quoted the wrong post or you are severely misunderstanding the previous post.

Hope my explanation helps?!~
__________________
JonGrafto is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #225
HIlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 47
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGrafto View Post
I think your recap of the recap is innaccurate...

I read that he did not skip the protein rest but rather changed the temperature of the water from 136 to 146 in order to get the mash temp to 133.

Next he pulled the first decoction of about 3 gallons (instead of 3 qts which would not do anything) boiled it and then added it back to the mash in order to bring the temperature up to 155°.

2nd decoction he brought 1 gallon of the grist to a boil and then added it back in order to bring the mash temp up to 168°.

Nowhere do I see that he mashed in at 185°. Either you quoted the wrong post or you are severely misunderstanding the previous post.

Hope my explanation helps?!~
I think you're right about the strike temp, I was thrown by the massive heat loss, but a 3 gallon decoction does not bring the mash to 155. It's physics, that's why the technique was developed. Boiling 3 gallons of a ~4 gallon mash and adding it back to the main mash brings the temperature to around 180.

Either the volumes in the post were wrong or the temperatures were.
__________________
HIlife is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #226
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central Part of the State..., WI
Posts: 1,570
Liked 97 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIlife View Post
I think you're right about the strike temp, I was thrown by the massive heat loss, but a 3 gallon decoction does not bring the mash to 155. It's physics, that's why the technique was developed. Boiling 3 gallons of a ~4 gallon mash and adding it back to the main mash brings the temperature to around 180.

Either the volumes in the post were wrong or the temperatures were.
I apologize.. I did not look up the calculations...

It does appear that in order to raise the temperature from 133 to 155, you would only need 9 pints or 4.5 quarts or 1.125 gallons of boiling decoction.
__________________
JonGrafto is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #227
HIlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 47
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGrafto View Post
I apologize.. I did not look up the calculations...

It does appear that in order to raise the temperature from 133 to 155, you would only need 9 pints or 4.5 quarts or 1.125 gallons of boiling decoction.
No apologies necessary, at least you figured out the strike temperature question for me. The only reason I know how wildly off that decoction was is because I brewed this recipe in the last couple months.

I'm just trying to see if those values are correct and what effect it had on the final product. A good brewer can learn from his own mistakes, a great brewer can learn from the mistakes of others.
__________________
HIlife is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 03:14 AM   #228
Jhoss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ortonville, MI
Posts: 131
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Hi Guys,

I chilled a bunch on Thursday morn. And tried today Saturday. Outstanding! And my Friend says I nailed the Oberon. I can't take the credit. I owe this thread. To Hilife and Jofacto, Sorry I was so cryptic in my description of my recap. I think 'facto, deciphered my giberish quite well. If your thinking of brewing this - I say do it!

Jhoss

__________________
Jhoss is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #229
Jhoss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ortonville, MI
Posts: 131
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Gotta brew it again...

Down to my last 3 bottles. I got a co-worker, he's a crotchety ole' f'ck and I tell him so. He'll barbecue me on a sub-par brew - absolutely brutal. A raging endorsement is "not bad". He won't touch a BMC beer - I like that about him - I tell him that too.

Gave him a couple of these Oberon clones. He texts me, yeah, he texts me to say, get this, .....Awesome! Says his wife was the same. He tells me she suggests that he thinks about getting into home-brewing if that can be the result.

Some days are diamonds guys.

Jhoss

__________________
Jhoss is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #230
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wooster, OH, Ohio
Posts: 715
Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

So, I've successfully harvested some Bells yeast from some Bells Amber Ales and I'm planning on brewing up a batch of this recipe this weekend and had a question.

I do BIAB and was planning on doing the decoction mash like the recipe states. Here is the system I use for normal brews. I do BIAB in a 7.5 gal. kettle so I can't do full volume BIAB's. What I do instead is mash in about 6 gallons of water. I have a 5 gal kettle that I heat about 2.5 gallons of water to 170F while I'm mashing in the large kettle. Once the mash is done, I then mashout in the large kettle and then pull/drain the bag and transfer it to the small kettle for a sparge for 20 minutes. I then combine all the liquid into the large kettle for the boil.

My question is, after the second decoction to get to the mashout step, would it be ok to sparge the grain bag like I do with my other brews? My first BIAB was done without a sparge and my efficiency #'s were way low. Since I added the sparge, I've been hitting 80-85% efficiency so I'm hoping it will be ok to sparge after the decoction mash is done.

Thanks.

__________________
MMJfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oberon Clone bobbo Recipes/Ingredients 13 05-29-2012 12:56 PM
Oberon Clone AHS Preiff Recipes/Ingredients 6 02-20-2009 06:22 PM
Brewing Bells Oberon Clone tonight cweston All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 06-09-2007 02:51 AM
Bells Oberon is back for the summer!! Tophe Commercial Brew Discussion 3 03-31-2007 12:56 AM
Oberon Clone jettaman Recipes/Ingredients 14 12-21-2005 05:12 PM