Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bells Oberon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #211
Streeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

No, I don't work at the AA store but by there. The guy I spoke with at the store told me differently, but it all opinion of the person who you get helping you of course. He suggested the wheat special and a dram of the strawberry flavor to put in at bottling. He said I may want to taste it after stirring in the extract and perhaps add more if that wasn't enough. They sell some bigger flavoring also: http://www.homebrewing.org/Strawberr...-oz_p_259.html this is the small one I got- http://www.homebrewing.org/Strawberr...m-_p_2087.html

Since I'm new to this- I'm not sure what this means exactly but my OG looked to be right on 1.040 and the recipe says OG: 1.048. Will mine be less alcohol content or higher?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #212
mbobhat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Just a quick question on this, I've got some unmalted wheat that I'm wanting to do a protein rest with for an oberon clone very soon. I've got some bell's yeast I've been stepping up from a sixer of Oarsman ale. I will most likely do a decoction up to the 150 range. Should I protein rest the wheat only for 20 min or so and then add the rest of the malt, or just throw it all together? I've never done unmalted wheat before or a decoction.

Also, what are anyone's thoughts on how this will affect the beer? I would think it would maybe be more yellow and cloudy?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #213
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobhat View Post
Just a quick question on this, I've got some unmalted wheat that I'm wanting to do a protein rest with for an oberon clone very soon. I've got some bell's yeast I've been stepping up from a sixer of Oarsman ale. I will most likely do a decoction up to the 150 range. Should I protein rest the wheat only for 20 min or so and then add the rest of the malt, or just throw it all together? I've never done unmalted wheat before or a decoction.

Also, what are anyone's thoughts on how this will affect the beer? I would think it would maybe be more yellow and cloudy?
I can't confirm the accuracy of this, but you may want to worry more about your yeast than your mashing schedule. According to this thread, Oarsman uses a different strain... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/bel...ulture-284308/

However, Bell's website says that they use the house strain...
http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/22-Oarsman%20Ale

I'd love to know if this is the case because if so, Oarsman does seem like an ideal choice for harvesting due to sediment and low ABV.

EDIT: Ok so I should probably read the whole thread before posting , in the link I provided there are conflicting opinions on whether Oarsman yeast uses the house strain, so seems like siding with Bell's website is the safe bet.

Reason: I can't read

Old 07-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #214
mbobhat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Yea I saw that thread too. Hopefully it turns out nice. Oarsman is a partial wheat I think as well, so I would think they would use the same. I used 5 bottles of dregs and checked the date as almost 4 months old. Seems to be propagatin' nicely

Update:

Three months is probably too old for a Bell's yeast I think. It was infected...had a nasty corn smell. Anyways using Wyeat 1272 American Ale for this one and decocted. Excited about this one!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #215
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I was lucky enough to have my neighbor give me Oberon keg dregs for a nice starter, there was krausen after 4-6 hours.

I plan on using Crypo's decoction recipe from post #159 scaled for an 11g batch. I've never done decoction mash and am using Beersmith to plan out the raises. It's showing 14qt to boil for the 133-155 jump and 11.9 qt boil to hit 168 with an additional fly sparge of ~5 gallons. Do you guys use 2qt/lb ratio? I'll probably just batch sparge with a braid the last ~5 gallons to hit volume unless someone has a case for why that's a bad idea with decoction mashing.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #216
CrackShotHolmes
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've batch sparged with a braid 4 times this year so far with this recipe...all have been magnificent. No problem with your plan whatsoever. Go for it!

And yes, I use a higher qt/lb ratio when doing decoctions. For this recipe 2 qt/lb has worked great for me.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #217
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackShotHolmes View Post
I've batch sparged with a braid 4 times this year so far with this recipe...all have been magnificent. No problem with your plan whatsoever. Go for it!

And yes, I use a higher qt/lb ratio when doing decoctions. For this recipe 2 qt/lb has worked great for me.
Thanks! Yesterday was my first 'Fun with Decoction ' Day for a batch of Oberon. I was a few pounds short of 2 row so had to fill in with MO. Might have to call it Oberwon Kanobi if it turns out well.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #218
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default Decocted Oberon Clone brew Labor Day weekend

Well, I gave it a rip this weekend. A fine day. Some notes to help out any other newbies to this recipe or to decoction.
The recipe/ingredients.
6 lbs. 2 row (brewers malt)
4 lbs. American white wheat
.5 carapils (8 lovibond)

3 oz Saaz (3.5 % AA)
1 oz Cascade (5.5% AA)

Strike water original recipe called for 136 for a target rest at 133 for 15 mins) - I think the 136 was a typo - went to 146...nailed it. (10 gal. round cooler mash tun).
First Decoction, Original recipe called for pulling 3 qts, again, I think typo and qts. should be gallons and somewhat thick mash. Boil for up to 10 mins and add back to reach target temp of 155. Rest for 60 mins.

Second Decoction, pull 1 gallon bring to boil, return to reach target temp of 168 for 15 mins. (1 gallon aint enough - pull approx. 2).

I stirred (there is lots of stirring in I started the fly sparge. about 2/3rds of the way done, the runoff was frightenly clear. I stopped and stirred it up some more, vorloufed and continued.

The preboil volume (about 6.5) measured 1.052 (refractometer), boiled down to 1.058 in an hour...this is a long brew session - I was good with the 1058. (added 1 oz Saaz at 30 and 15 and got an ounce left with an ounce of Cascade to dry hop).

Pitched my Bells yeast reharvest. Check out the protein layer on top of the grist in the mash tun after draining...

Old 10-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #219
Jhoss
Recipes 

Default Just about ready to drink

My batch brewed Labor Day weekend has been in the bottle(s) for two weeks - will try on the 21rst day (Oct 14th) - I remember the hydro sample and I'm a bit anxious to try this - my first "yellow" beer.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #220
Jhoss
Recipes 

Default Here's a glass (pic) I pulled when racking.

When racking over to secondary I poured my hydro sample into a glass for visibility and for proper tasting. As I stated earlier, It was very drinkable warm and flat.

Quick Reply