Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bells Oberon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #201
Jhoss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Oh Crypto...question on your carboy times,

[QUOTE=Cryptochronolite;3653282] fermented in primary at 63ºF for five days. Racked to secondary, added hops, bottled after two weeks.

QUOTE]

Just to clarify, are you saying here that the beer will spend 9 days in the secondary on the dry hops - or 2 weeks in the secondary on the dry hops?

Jhoss

PS - Major Ditto's on the Thank You's!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #202
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I've got Bell's yeast ready to go

This I cultured up from two bottles of Bells Pale Ale. I used it on the Two Hearted Clone, Washed and ready to go. Next Up..Crypto's Oberon-decocted clone.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #203
ColumbusAmongus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I tried a clone from harvesting their yeast from an oberon bottle. Mine fermented at 68F and I feel like it was too clean so I would second the thought to ferment a bit warmer.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #204
CrackShotHolmes
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoss View Post
This I cultured up from two bottles of Bells Pale Ale. I used it on the Two Hearted Clone, Washed and ready to go. Next Up..Crypto's Oberon-decocted clone.
You won't be disappointed, this recipe is top notch. We've drank 20 gallons of this so far in 2012.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #205
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Try fermenting it at 72. I hear that's the magic zone for the distinctive fruity esters.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #206
Lakeman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have this one going in my kegerator currently. I didn't do the decoction, fermented at room temp (70 degrees plus whatever heat the yeasties kicked up). It's two weeks since I took it off the dry-hops and the current fave in my lineup - great for hot weather. Mine turned out to have a little more hop in the nose than the original, but I'm assuming that will die down quickly, if it lasts that long. The ester levels are perfect.

Thanks very much for the recipe!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #207
Streeter
Recipes 

Default AIH clone kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Hello everyone. I'm a noob when it comes to homebrewing and so most of these Oberon recipes are over my head at this stage of my homebrewing expertise.

I just had a queston about some of the extract kits available from some homebrewing suppliers.

Has anyone tried the extract kit available at Adventures in Homebrewing? I actually just brewed a batch of this kit last weekend but I can't find any reviews on it at all.

Right now it is in the primary fermentation bucket where I plan on keeping it for for around 24 days. Talked to a guy from AIH and he said he didn't see a need to transfer it to a carboy for secondary because it is a wheat beer so I'm just going to leave it go in the bucket unless someone thinks this is a bad idea.

Thanks, Matt
So how did it turn out- the kit from AIH? I was going to pick one up today but also found no reviews and didn't know if I should or try one of the other ideas?
Thanks!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #208
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streeter View Post
So how did it turn out- the kit from AIH? I was going to pick one up today but also found no reviews and didn't know if I should or try one of the other ideas?
Thanks!
While I'm sure it's not quite as good as Crypto's recipe, I am very happy with the results! I actually changed up their recipe a bit and dry hopped with 1 oz of whole leaf cascade to try and get more of a citruicy flavor. While I don't have anything to compare to without dry hopping, I love the way it turned out with the dry hopping. Very happy with the result of this beer for being an extract kit!

In fact, I liked it so much, I already ordered another kit and plan on brewing batch #2 this weekend!

I also ordered their Fruit Wheat which I am making a Strawberry Wheat and I brewed that one last weekend.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #209
Streeter
Recipes 

Hi,
AIH is by where I work so I will by buying a lot from them. They have a summer wheat beer on sale for $20 (w/o yeast) and said this is their 3rd year doing it and it is very popular. I may pick that up today instead to try. She said they recommend adding some dried bitter orange peel and coriander. I think she recommended the vial yeast and I can't remember the number (I think it was American ale 2- looked that up and it is -http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=11). So now I am wondering which one to do now. This (with adding orange and coriander> http://www.homebrewing.org/Summer-Wheat-Bier-Special_p_1223.html or the Oberon clone>http://www.homebrewing.org/Solsun_p_607.html

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic
How did you do the strawberry (real or extract) and was it this kit (this one-http://homebrewing.org/assets/images/PDF/AIHrecipes/CherryWheat.pdf)? You will have to let us know how it turns out. I wanted to do a strawberry or raspberry wheat and not sure if this generic one would be a good base for that, or the one you did, or if someone has a better idea. Also with fruit beers, generally is adding real fruit or puree to these is way better than extract or not too noticeable since you are trying to be subtle.

Here is their recipe for Oberon btw- Since I'm new to brewing I have no idea if this sounds right, but it is different than the ones posted.

Malt Base 6 lb. Wheat Malt Extract or 7.2 lbs Liquid
Specialty Grains: 1/2 LB Caravienne , 1/2 Lb Munich
Hops: 2.5 HBU. Hallertau Hop Pellets (bittering), 4.5 HBU Saaz Hop Pellets
(Flavor and aroma)
Other: Saison Ale Yeast , Muslin Bag, Priming Sugar
Suggested Yeast: White Labs Saison, Wyeast 3724

This is their summer wheat and I see it shows some generic hops so I can ask what it is

Malt Base: 6 lbs. Wheat LME
Specialty Grains: 8 oz Flaked Wheat, 8 oz Flaked Oats
Hops: 15 IBU Bittering Hops
Other: Hop Sack, 5 oz. Priming Sugar
Suggested Yeast : American Hefeweizen Yeast

Thanks

Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #210
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

It's different because it's an extract recipe and it's difficult to clone Oberon using extracts compared to AG recipes. But with that said, I was very happy how this Oberon clone turned out.

As for your questions regarding the fruit beers, I actually called someone at AIH and asked them that very question regarding which wheat beer would be best to use for a fruit wheat. I was actually considering just adding fresh strawberries to the Oberon kit, but he did recommend using the fruit wheat kit as opposed to their summer wheat kit or the Oberon kit. I am using fresh strawberries that came from a local grower that I cut and froze and am planning to add to my beer after primary. From what I've read, most would recommend using fresh fruit or a puree over extracts, but I've also read plenty of people happy with extracts as well. I'm planning on just tasting my brew just before I rack to my bottling bucket and then if I want more strawberry flavor, I'm going to go ahead and add some extract to taste.

Are you working in the Ann Arbor store?

Quick Reply