The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bells Oberon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #191
Sparty-On
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How long did you hold the above batch in primary and secondary fermentation? I'm guessing there is a need to hold this a bit longer than usual. I'd love to give this a shot. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #192
Sparty-On
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Schedule

How long did you hold the above batch in primary and secondary fermentation? I'm guessing there is a need to hold this a bit longer than usual. I'd love to give this a shot. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #193
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty-On View Post
Not sure who you are asking this to, but I believe this one was 12 days primary and another two weeks dry hopping before I bottled it. I primary all my beers for 12-14 days, then another week in secondary if no dry hop, and two weeks if there is. I'd just transfer to the secondary whenever you are confident primary fermentation is complete, but I'd advise a two week dry hop, especially if you aren't using Bell's ale yeast.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #194
samiley216
Recipes 

Just did the batch myself using a very similar recipe. We used 5 total oz of Saaz (2 oz at bittering and three separate 1oz 45m, 15m, and finish) along a combo of Briess White Wheat and 10L and 3.3lbs of Briess Pilsen LME and 3.3 of Wheat LME. I used the Wyeast1010 at pitch. Orig gravity came out at 1.044... starting to get worried as this was lower than anticipated and a suggest of 1.051... thoughts?

Fully enjoyed:The Squirrel's Nuts" English Brown Ale, ESB, Steam Ale

Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #195
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Hello everyone. I'm a noob when it comes to homebrewing and so most of these Oberon recipes are over my head at this stage of my homebrewing expertise.

I just had a queston about some of the extract kits available from some homebrewing suppliers.

Has anyone tried the extract kit available at Adventures in Homebrewing? I actually just brewed a batch of this kit last weekend but I can't find any reviews on it at all.

Right now it is in the primary fermentation bucket where I plan on keeping it for for around 24 days. Talked to a guy from AIH and he said he didn't see a need to transfer it to a carboy for secondary because it is a wheat beer so I'm just going to leave it go in the bucket unless someone thinks this is a bad idea.

Also, I've been reading about dry hopping with cascade? Would this be something I should add to this batch? I figured I could dry hop after 10 days and let it go for another 14 days before bottling. Does this sound like it would work?

Thanks, Matt

Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #196
JSomps6
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Hello everyone. I'm a noob when it comes to homebrewing and so most of these Oberon recipes are over my head at this stage of my homebrewing expertise.

I just had a queston about some of the extract kits available from some homebrewing suppliers.

Has anyone tried the extract kit available at Adventures in Homebrewing? I actually just brewed a batch of this kit last weekend but I can't find any reviews on it at all.

Right now it is in the primary fermentation bucket where I plan on keeping it for for around 24 days. Talked to a guy from AIH and he said he didn't see a need to transfer it to a carboy for secondary because it is a wheat beer so I'm just going to leave it go in the bucket unless someone thinks this is a bad idea.

Also, I've been reading about dry hopping with cascade? Would this be something I should add to this batch? I figured I could dry hop after 10 days and let it go for another 14 days before bottling. Does this sound like it would work?

Thanks, Matt
He's right - really no need to use a secondary unless you plan on leaving it there a long time, or plan to dry hop. If you drop hop in the primary, you can actually coat the hops with yeast and you don't get as much from them... If you are going to dry hop, transfer after 2 weeks, but don't leave it on dry hops longer than one week. If you can, purge the secondary carboy with co2 before racking. Worst thing you can do is add oxygen to your beer at this point. Good Luck!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #197
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSomps6 View Post
He's right - really no need to use a secondary unless you plan on leaving it there a long time, or plan to dry hop. If you drop hop in the primary, you can actually coat the hops with yeast and you don't get as much from them... If you are going to dry hop, transfer after 2 weeks, but don't leave it on dry hops longer than one week. If you can, purge the secondary carboy with co2 before racking. Worst thing you can do is add oxygen to your beer at this point. Good Luck!
This is the first I've heard of this. My recipe kits said nothing about purging my carboy with Co2 before transferring. I just used a siphon to transfer the beer from the primary fermenter to the carboy on my first homebrew (an IPA) prior to brewing this Oberon clone...

Last edited by MMJfan; 05-15-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #198
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Purging with CO2 is only if you happen to have kegging equipment, and you just give a little blast of gas into your carboy before you rack into it. But it doesn't sound like you're that far along yet. Don't worry, it's not necessary.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #199
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dme

While thinking about the extract clone I attempted back in late February, it dawned upon me that some adjustment is probably needed with the ratio of DME used for base malt. Since I believe the feedback from Bell's was the base was American 2-Row, about 40-45% wheat, and a bit of crystal, the initial thought would be to translate that to the ratio of Extra Light/Wheat DME or LME. This is what I did, along with about 1lb of a mix of Carapils, Munich and Melanoiden. It came out pretty dark, which I attribute in part to the use of the Melanoiden and DME, which also seems to come out darker than anticipated. Good beer, had the Oberon ester/fruitiness profile, but not close to a clone.

What dawned upon me today is that if you are using Briess DME, the Wheat is actually a 65/35 Wheat/Barley mix. Ultimately, I believe using a ratio of about 2:1 Wheat/Extra Light DME gets you closer to the base malt indicated by Bells. I would think adding some Carapils to steep and making at least half of the DME a late addition would get you to a good spot for an extract clone.

Anyone ever gone this route? I'd try it myself but I've moved on to AG brewing and don't anticipate making another extract batch like this.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #200
ziggityz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm brewing an oberon extract "clone" this weekend. Here's my recipe:

8lb Austin Homebrew Wheat LME (40% wheat, 60% 2 row)
8 oz carapils

1 oz czech saaz (30 mins) pellet (3 AA)
1 oz czech saaz (15 mins) pellet (3 AA)

1 oz cascade leaf dry hop
.5 oz czech saaz leaf dry hop
dry hop in secondary for 14 days

wyeast 1010

OG 1.057
FG 1.014
11.4 IBU

I'm not going to an exact clone, just something that will get me close and tastes good.

I'll come back and post some results when I brew

Quick Reply