Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #101
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4578 Times on 4484 Posts
Likes Given: 1968

So, just an update since this thread came up. My color was spot on and the hops were pretty close, but my version finished far too dry to be even remotely similar. Still very drinkable, but higher in acohol, drier, and the hops are more pronounced without the sweeter maltiness showing through.

Next time I try it I will definitely mash at 158 and may cut back a pinch on hops. Also considering using a pinch of melanoidin malt... Will update if I get around to it in the spring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #102
Tumpster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was considering doing this but using cascade hops? Whatcha think?

Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #103
JSomps6
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptochronolite View Post
I think so too, but, it is what it is. I wanted to do it at 158, but I am starting to get tired of this beer so I didn't do as much diligence as I should have.
Crypto - how did this one turn out?

Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #104
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

A new guy in town is in love with Oberon and would be SOOO geeked if I could make some homemade for him. Using this recipe as a guide, and his palate as a tasting platform, I should be able to get close. But I'm not going to bother with a decoction. I know Bells doesn't use one.

I may harvest some yeast though, since I have an empty stirplate and Oberon is fresh and readily accessible.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #105
Cryptochronolite
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I believe that decoction and a high mash temp achieve the maltiness required for this recipe. There may be some high-heat caramelization techniques that can mimic the decoction, or perhaps some adjuncts, but I haven't experimented.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #106
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

my next iteration of Titania is coming up tomorrow. I am going to rock some Melo malt with a single rest. I tried Titania with the original recipe and no deco and it was not nearly as rich. In addition, that last batch was fermented with Wyeast 1010 (am. wheat). Overall that was my least favorite batch of the four I have brewed (but it still rocked and was kicked at a party in about 2 hours). Anyway, this one I am going to use a Kölsch yeast at 67º to try for a fruitier character. Additionally, I will be splitting this batch down the road and racking half onto raspberries. I'll try to give updated notes on how everything goes.

Recipe: Titania
Brewery: Brouwerij Boerderij Kabouter
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
5.30 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) 56.08 %
3.50 lb White Wheat (Briess) 37.04 %
0.40 lb Cara-Pils 4.23 %
0.25 lb Melanoidin (Weyermann) 2.65 %
0.36 oz Saaz (Dry Hop 5 days)
0.73 oz Cascade (Dry Hop 5 days)
2.52 AAU Saaz @ 30 min
2.52 AAU Saaz @ 15 min
0.25 Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15.0 min
0.25 tsp Yeast Nutrient @ 15 min
Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 9.45 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
50 min Sacc rest Add 14.18 qt of water at 165.1 F to reach 155.0 F

Old 04-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #107
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hello all,
I live in Kalamazoo and have several friends who work at the brewery. I have come up with an Oberon extract recipe that comes very close to the flavor and the aroma of the origional. The color is slightly darker - more of a coppery orange rather than a golden orange. But I found that my earlier version, which hit the color spot-on, didn't have the flavor I was looking for ( just like several people have said on here, it was a bit too dry and not sweet/malty enough ). And I would much rather have the flavor right than the color. According to the people at Bell's, no spice or orange peel or anything like that is used. The key is warmer than normal fermentation temps to get the slight fruitiness. In fact, they use the same yeast as in their more neutral beers like pale ale and amber, just fermented warmer for more fruity esters. Although most people have speculated that their house yeast is something along the lines of WLP051 Cal Ale V, I found that WLP320 American Hefeweizen comes pretty close to the flavor profile of Oberon if you can't harvest from a bottle. Another key is dry hopping with Cascade hops to get the citrusy,floral nose. I am working on an all-grain version, as I have been getting away from extract brewing. I will be trying out the AG version soon, as Oberon was just released and there should be some good fresh bottle yeast to harvest. Anyway, here's the extract recipe for anyone interested:

BELL'S OBERON ( 5 gallons, 3.5 gallon boil )

- 3 LB, 4 OZ Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
- 2 LB, 8 OZ Briess golden light DME
- 10 OZ Munich
- 6 OZ Crystal 60L
- 3/4 OZ Hallertauer pellets (60 min.)
- 1 OZ Hallertauer pellets (30 min.)
- 1/2 OZ Saaz pellets (15 min.)
- 1/2 OZ Saaz pellets (5 min.)
- Culture yeast from Oberon bottles or use WLP320 (American Hefeweizen)
- dry hop 7-14 days with 1 OZ Cascade leaf hops

steep the grains at about 155 degrees for 30 min., then boil as usual.(I add all but about 1.5 LBS of the DME at the beginning of the boil, then add the rest with about 15 min. left. Primary fermentation at about 73 degrees for 7 days, then transfer to secondary and dry hop for 7-14 days more(longer is better-next time I think I'll go 3 weeks as the hop aroma has faded from some of the last bottles of the batch). I think in the all grain version I will use some torrified wheat. Enjoy!

Last edited by AdamWiz; 04-24-2011 at 08:30 PM.
thatshowyougetants Likes This 
Old 05-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #108
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWiz View Post
Hello all,
I live in Kalamazoo and have several friends who work at the brewery. I have come up with an Oberon extract recipe that comes very close to the flavor and the aroma of the origional. The color is slightly darker - more of a coppery orange rather than a golden orange. But I found that my earlier version, which hit the color spot-on, didn't have the flavor I was looking for ( just like several people have said on here, it was a bit too dry and not sweet/malty enough ). And I would much rather have the flavor right than the color. According to the people at Bell's, no spice or orange peel or anything like that is used. The key is warmer than normal fermentation temps to get the slight fruitiness. In fact, they use the same yeast as in their more neutral beers like pale ale and amber, just fermented warmer for more fruity esters. Although most people have speculated that their house yeast is something along the lines of WLP051 Cal Ale V, I found that WLP320 American Hefeweizen comes pretty close to the flavor profile of Oberon if you can't harvest from a bottle. Another key is dry hopping with Cascade hops to get the citrusy,floral nose. I am working on an all-grain version, as I have been getting away from extract brewing. I will be trying out the AG version soon, as Oberon was just released and there should be some good fresh bottle yeast to harvest. Anyway, here's the extract recipe for anyone interested:

BELL'S OBERON ( 5 gallons, 3.5 gallon boil )

- 3 LB, 4 OZ Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
- 2 LB, 8 OZ Briess golden light DME
- 10 OZ Munich
- 6 OZ Crystal 60L
- 3/4 OZ Hallertauer pellets (60 min.)
- 1 OZ Hallertauer pellets (30 min.)
- 1/2 OZ Saaz pellets (15 min.)
- 1/2 OZ Saaz pellets (5 min.)
- Culture yeast from Oberon bottles or use WLP320 (American Hefeweizen)
- dry hop 7-14 days with 1 OZ Cascade leaf hops

steep the grains at about 155 degrees for 30 min., then boil as usual.(I add all but about 1.5 LBS of the DME at the beginning of the boil, then add the rest with about 15 min. left. Primary fermentation at about 73 degrees for 7 days, then transfer to secondary and dry hop for 7-14 days more(longer is better-next time I think I'll go 3 weeks as the hop aroma has faded from some of the last bottles of the batch). I think in the all grain version I will use some torrified wheat. Enjoy!
Adam, this might be one of my next brews as it definitely looks good. However a couple questions:

1) Does this recipe assume a full boil or partial boil?
2) Is this a partial mash? I ask because isn't Munich required to be mashed?
3) what would be a good dry yeast substitute? WB-06, or Danstar German?

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #109
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cincybrewer -
Munich does require mashing to convert, but this recipe is from before I knew that. When I first started brewing, I kind of just jumped in and started making a bunch of stuff before I had any technical knowledge about ingredients. Since this beer turned out so well, I left it in the recipe anyways. I now have made both a partial mash and an all-grain version of this recipe, let me know which you would like and I can post it for you. As for dry yeast, I think the WB-05 would be better than the Danstar German. I think the German yeast would give you some of the banana and clove flavors common to German hefes that you wouldn't want in this beer(although it probably would be pretty tasty, it wouldn't be as much like oberon).

Old 05-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #110
JSomps6
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWiz View Post
Cincybrewer -
Munich does require mashing to convert, but this recipe is from before I knew that. When I first started brewing, I kind of just jumped in and started making a bunch of stuff before I had any technical knowledge about ingredients. Since this beer turned out so well, I left it in the recipe anyways. I now have made both a partial mash and an all-grain version of this recipe, let me know which you would like and I can post it for you. As for dry yeast, I think the WB-05 would be better than the Danstar German. I think the German yeast would give you some of the banana and clove flavors common to German hefes that you wouldn't want in this beer(although it probably would be pretty tasty, it wouldn't be as much like oberon).
Please post the all grain version of this, thanks!

Quick Reply