Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bells Oberon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #91
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post

10 gal final volume

11 lbs 2-Row
8 lbs malted wheat
2 lbs munich
.5 lb C-40

Mash at 155 for 90 min

1 oz. American tettnang 4.8%aa 45 min
2 oz. czech saaz 3.4%aa 30 min
1 oz. czech saaz 0 min
2 oz. cascade 0 min
2.5 oz. freshly zested orange peel (no pith) 0 min

Yeast:
carboy 1: 1000 ml starter US-05
carboy 2: 1200 ml starter Wyeast 1010 Am. wheat on stir plate

TB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
This beer, Move Overon, has matured now. The batch with the US-05 yeast has been on tap for about a week now. The other three taps are occupied, so I can't yet do a side by side comparison of the two yeasts. I will offer what notes I can on this beer in the mean time.

I brewed this on 4.22.10 and at kegging (5.3.10) the US-05 was 5.3% ABV and the WY1010 was 5.5% ABV.

The US-05 batch is a hazy lightish orange, just about the color of Oberon. It has great mouthfeel, with medium-light body. Hints of orange aroma and citrousy flavor are owed in part to the 0 minute cascade addition and the orange zest. Some hop aroma is present, but not overpowering. The smoothness and "noble" quality of the Czech Saaz is detectable, but this is clearly a malt driven beer. Very drinkable, as I have put a few long sessions in with this beer and always want a little more. I tried putting a slice of orange in the beer and it compliments it nicely if that's your thing. (I know plenty of people who drink Oberon with a slice of fruit as well.) Head retention is outstanding. Good lacing on the glass. This will be a beer to brew again, that's for sure.

Since this isn't an Oberon clone, I won't compare it to Oberon. (Other than I'd rather drink this than Oberon any day.)

I'll update with notes on the WY1010 batch (kegged and waiting) when it's on tap.

Cheers!
TiberIfoundmyhotsunnydaybeerBrew
Well, the batch with 1010 wheat yeast is now on tap. Here are my thoughts:
Basically, it's the same as the US-05, but not as clean. The hop aroma and flavor from the late additions don't come through as well as with the US-05, but it still has a small presence. This one attenuated a little better, but no noticeable increase in dryness. Head retention, lacing, and mouthfeel are amlost identical to the US-05 batch.

This is a great beer! I recommend this highly!

Cheers,
TiberthisisthetasteofsummerBrew
1. Porter 2. Porter 3. Pils 4. Pils 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Lambic 3. Lambic 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #92
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm assuming you're still going with a 45 minute boil on this, Tiber? I'm going with a wheat of some description tomorrow, I wanted to do the Oberon clone but I really don't want to mess with the decoction, since my time's going to be limited, so this is looking like a winner.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #93
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
I'm assuming you're still going with a 45 minute boil on this, Tiber? I'm going with a wheat of some description tomorrow, I wanted to do the Oberon clone but I really don't want to mess with the decoction, since my time's going to be limited, so this is looking like a winner.
That's right, 45 min boil.

Good luck to ya,
TB
1. Porter 2. Porter 3. Pils 4. Pils 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Lambic 3. Lambic 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Pale Ale

Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #94
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4643 Times on 4545 Posts
Likes Given: 2250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptochronolite View Post
SECOND Problem was the carmel and complexity. that took me a while to fix - finally, I found it: Decoction. I have been on a decoction kick for a while and decided that this could be a candidate.

Start in at 133F for 15 minutes
Decoc 12 pints of mash (adjust this for your system)
155F for 60minutes
mash out.
But why go right to a decoction here vs say, mashing in at a higher temp to convert a slightly smaller percentage of the sugars by zipping right on by the Beta Amylase temps? Even if you start in at 133 and then bump to 157-158 for 60 min? I understand you were/are all into decoctions at the time, but I think you should be able to reproduce the malt profile of Oberon sans decoction. I would guess a higher mash temp and some Munich would get you pretty close for a first pass. I intend to try this in addition to the heavy Saaz usage as that is something I noticed in the original as well.

Edit: Based on my usual mash schedule I believe I would finish with a beer in the 1.008 range for these ingredients if the Bell's yeast is roughly 75-78% attuative. This is obviously much too low for the Oberon range, which is 1.013-1.014 final gravity. Hence, I would like to try this with a higher Alpha rest and a low-end beta rest (133 as noted) and see if I can replicate the lower level of fermentables with the mash schedule and the malty backbone with some combination of Munich and c60.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #95
Cryptochronolite

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

>>But why go right to a decoction here vs say, mashing in at a higher temp to convert a slightly smaller percentage of the sugars by zipping right on by the Beta Amylase temps? Even if you start in at 133 and then bump to 157-158 for 60 min? I understand you were/are all into decoctions at the time, but I think you should be able to reproduce the malt profile of Oberon sans decoction. I would guess a higher mash temp and some Munich would get you pretty close for a first pass.

Okay, so I just brewed this without a decoction, using the mentioned method. I added about .5 lbs of munich and mashed at 160. I think that it's going to be pretty good. The wort tastes about the same as I remember.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #96
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i agree 99% with this only i think 160 might be a tad high?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #97
Cryptochronolite

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I think so too, but, it is what it is. I wanted to do it at 158, but I am starting to get tired of this beer so I didn't do as much diligence as I should have.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #98
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4643 Times on 4545 Posts
Likes Given: 2250

Let me know how you finish on OG/FG as well. I ended up botching my mash while playing with a new thermometer and I am almost certain I will finish in the 1.010 range. Would like to give this one another go next summer and curious how yours turns out. I will post my mash schedule and grain bill when I get FG readings this weekend. I can tell you right now that you want no part of the mash schedule I ended up with! LOL!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #99
rorygilmore
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I know this is an older thread, but I recently brewed an Oberon Clone with inspiration with the posts on this thread. I took a few liberties with the recipe to make it a bit bigger. Here's what I did:

3 lb Dry Wheat Extract
2 lb light DME
3 lb American Two Row
8 oz Crystal 40 lb
4 oz Cara-pils

45 minute boil
.5 ounce Czech Saaz (7.7) at 30 minutes
1 ounce Czech Saaz (7.7) at 15 minutes
.5 ounce Czech Saaz dry hopped in secondary for 7 days
1 ounce Cascade dry hopped in secondary for 7 days

Mashed the Two Row Crystal ,and Cara-Pils at 155 for 60 minutes. This was my first partial mash, and I used Deathbrewer's stove top method: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/

Wyeast 1010 w/ quart starter. I don't have fermentation temp control, but I was mostly in the high 60's. The yeast smelled amazing, but you better be prepared with a blow-off tube. I hit my expected O.G. of 1.064, and finished at 1.016, for an ABV of 6.3%.

While I won't claim that I'm an Oberon expert since I can't get it in the Pac NW, I have had it several times. I can tell you that this recipe is very, very close. The beer came out fantastic, and had what I loved about Oberon. It had a really nice aroma of the saaz with almost an orange-y fruitiness from the yeast and Cascade, and a slightly malty taste with notes that mimicked the nose. The body was similar too. The color might have been a touch darker, but I suspect that if you cut back on the crystal a bit you could get a better match.

I would not hesitate to recommend this recipe to those that are newer to partial mash as it was easy and forgiving, and the result was comparable to a commercially brewed beer. For a partial mash brewer who had more experience, I would eliminate the light DME and replace it with an 3.3 additional pounds of two row, but you probably knew that already.

The only change that I would make to the recipe/process would be to add something to get more of the yeast out of suspension. I thought that since I used a secondary, and refrigerated the keg for a week before drinking, that most of the yeast would be pulled out of suspension. Apparently that wasn't good enough, as a couple of my buddies had, shall we say, a bit of an intestinal disturbance after an evening of drinking several pints. Next time I plan to cold crash longer prior to drinking, or add Irish moss to the boil. Any ideas if the Irish moss is a good idea? Using gelatin is not an option, as I'd like to keep my beers vegan.

Finally, a big thank you to everyone who contribute to this thread. You made my Midwestern-transplant friends very happy!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #100
Cryptochronolite

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I highly recommend Irish moss.

Quick Reply