Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bells Oatmeal Porter (Bells recipe of the month)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Default Bells Oatmeal Porter (Bells recipe of the month)

Has anyone tried this recipe of the month from Bells? www.bellsbeer.com/index.php/download_file/view/754/242/

It's from Jan 2012 and looks good, I'm looking for a nice, rich Porter and this recipe looks great. However, I plugged the numbers into BeerSmith and the OG comes in at 1.052 vs. the Bells recipe, 1.064. Thought maybe this was a typo but Bells recipe also says ABV ~6% which jives with the 1.064. Looking at the grain bill, 1.046 seems more likely to me so trying to figure out where I'm off.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
homebrewhaha
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

iBrewmaster gives me a similar number to your calc (1.051 @70%). Probably just some kind of typo unless they're basing it on ~85% efficiency or something.

My guess is the typo is in the OG and they're shooting more on the higher end of a brown porter around 1.050-1.055. I think it's more likely that number is off than making a mistake with the actual grain bill. If it were me I would email and find out their intention instead of guessing.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well I realized I forgot to add the oats to the recipe in Beersmith.. in an Oatmeal Porter.. wow. Now it's 1.058, close enough!

On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Made this one yesterday. Hit 1.054 for the OG, my first time fly sparging and I think I was lautering too fast since it only took 20 minutes. Should still be good though at 1.054, using S-04, pitched last night and already seeing airlock activity this am.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu
Made this one yesterday. Hit 1.054 for the OG, my first time fly sparging and I think I was lautering too fast since it only took 20 minutes. Should still be good though at 1.054, using S-04, pitched last night and already seeing airlock activity this am.
Kegged this today, was at 1.015 after three weeks. Very clear and tasted good. This is my third kegged batch and this time I'm trying no priming and just co2 at the right level (12.5 psi for this beer) for a couple weeks.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Way early but started testing this batch, still green but it's going to be very good in a couple weeks. Funny how you can just tell with some beers. This one is already very clear and has a good amount of carb, just need the young flavors to mellow out. Could be a house favorite porter

Old 12-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I have a bunch of Oat Malt and Flaked Oats that I'm looking to write a recipe around. I will probably borrow inspiration from this one.

Glad to hear you're enjoying how it came out. Once the carbonation level really settles in and you think the beer has hit it's stride, can you post some further tasting notes?

One of our local breweries is making an Oatmeal Porter and I have an inkling to try my hand at the style, as I know my wife will drink it all in a flash! She is a big fan of porters.

I would be extremely curious sometime to try this recipe as you brewed it, with the S-04, side by side against an identical batch fermented using the 1028 Edinburgh that they call for here. I have used that yeast in the past and enjoyed its flavor quite a bit!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Quick Reply