Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bell's Amber?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,328
Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default Bell's Amber?

Bob is drinking a Bell's Amber Ale at this moment, and decided that WE must clone it.

Anybody have any clues on what might be a good clone? It's not sweet, and it does have a hops presence. The aroma seems to have a yeast bite, so I doubt I could get the yeast. But I do detect some citrusy hops aroma.

I'm guessing cascade and/or centennial hops. No dark crystal, but some lighter crystal along with some pale base malt. I am guessing 35-40 IBUs from the taste.

Anybody want to help me take a stab at this?

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,328
Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Here's my first thought:

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %

1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

I'm afraid I won't be any help on the recipe but I am harvesting some of Bell's yeast from the dregs of a few bottles of 2 Hearted Ale right now. Should take until the beginning of the week for me to grow up a usable amount, if you need some PM me your address and I'll ship some slurry to you when it's done.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,328
Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
I'm afraid I won't be any help on the recipe but I am harvesting some of Bell's yeast from the dregs of a few bottles of 2 Hearted Ale right now. Should take until the beginning of the week for me to grow up a usable amount, if you need some PM me your address and I'll ship some slurry to you when it's done.
I appreciate the offer, but it's so darn cold now that I don't trust the UPS or USPS not to deliver frozen yeast. Thanks, but I'll probably have to pass.

I thought that just pitching Wyeast 1056, WLP001, or even a dry S05 might get me to a similar "clean" yeast flavor. I've heard rumors that Bell's uses WLP001 for all of their beers, but can't prove it.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

I've been told that it's a "mutated" chico strain, so the above would be your best bet. If you change your mind, just let me know. I'm going to be doing a 2 Hearted Clone in a few weeks so I decided to go with the "real deal".

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 41,949
Liked 6035 Times on 5280 Posts
Likes Given: 688

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Here's my first thought:

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %

1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
Haven't had Bell's amber (don't get Bell's in AZ ) - but I really like the looks of this!

Any change I would make would be really minor (and likely nearly insiginificant) such as adding a touch (1-2 oz.) of roasted barley (for color), and maybe 0.5 lb each of 60L and 80L rather than a pound of 80L

A like the hop schedule! It's nearly inverted from that of my haus amber:
1.5 oz Cascade @ 60 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade @ 15 minutes
0.5 oz Willamette @ 15 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade @ 5 minutes
0.5 oz Willamette @ 5 minutes
__________________
AZ_IPA is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
cyberbackpacker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 1,465
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

I am drinking a Bell's amber right now myself. My bottles definitely have some yeast that I would attempt to harvest and use.

Do you perceive some slight esters in this too, or is it me?

I think your grist looks like a good starting point. Hops, I have no helpful input.

Good luck.

__________________

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

cyberbackpacker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,328
Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbackpacker View Post
I am drinking a Bell's amber right now myself. My bottles definitely have some yeast that I would attempt to harvest and use.

Do you perceive some slight esters in this too, or is it me?

I think your grist looks like a good starting point. Hops, I have no helpful input.

Good luck.
I did get some esters- very slight though. I think the dominant flavor was an earthy citrusy, with some malt sweetness. I don't have fuggles, so I thought willamette would be closest, along with the cascade.

I'll brew this up next, on my "new" rig. I have no idea what my efficiency will be, or how long it'll take me to chill, so it'll be a learning experience all around!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
GeorgeH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 153
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Haven't had Bell's amber (don't get Bell's in AZ )
Not to derail, but Bell's started distributing in Arizona at the end of 2009.
__________________

Primary: Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale
Secondary: Needs cleaning
Kegged: Graff, Web Interaction Wit, Edmund Fitz clone Porter, AHS's Pliny the Elder clone
Bottled: Holiday Ale

GeorgeH is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
amishland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
amishland's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 410
Default

yoop, have you checked the byo clone book, I thought I saw it in there. I can check this weekend and post whether or not I am FOS.


also check this thread looks like TH is onto something talking to bells for direction
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/look...recipe-130473/

__________________

Last edited by amishland; 01-15-2010 at 06:41 PM.
amishland is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bell's Hop Slam Mustangj Recipes/Ingredients 40 03-04-2012 05:14 AM
Amber DME and Amber liquid extract? SunDevilBrewer Extract Brewing 4 01-08-2010 01:39 PM
Bell's 5l mini keg Hound_Dog General Beer Discussion 1 10-23-2009 04:18 AM
Bell's Hopslam sucks - sorry Bell's :( beesy General Beer Discussion 37 08-05-2009 12:14 AM
Sediment in Bell's Amber Ale? JMSetzler General Beer Discussion 6 01-03-2009 03:42 AM