Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian Wheat Wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
ktraver97ss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

hmm.. plus the champagne yeast at bottling a 3 stage pitching could be interesting...

Although, what kind of benefit would there be to using the wheat yeast early? Do you think pitching the belgian/english after the gravity has dropped a bit will let it ferment down lower?

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I bet wlp410 would be interesting, im not a bit fan of banana flavors that some of the hefe yeasts leave.

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Gunna brew this one up this saturday. I changed the sugar to a soft brown candi to lower the srm a bit and threw a lb of abbey malt in there for ****s and giggles. Going to put it right on 2 yeast cakes of wlp002 from a 30g batch of brown ale, then up the temp to 70 after 7 days and pitch 2 vials of wlp530 and leave that to do its magic for at least 3 weeks. Any opinions on this plan?

15g batch
80% efficiency
OG - 1.107
FG - 1.025
SRM - 9
ABV - 11.1%
IBU - 80

26.5# Wheat Malt
26.5# 2 Row
2# Belgian Brown Soft Candi Sugar
1# Abbey malt

FWH - 2oz Nelson Sauvin
60min - 5oz Nelson Sauvin
15min - 2oz Nelson Sauvin

Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Sounds like a plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

So this brew went well, mash only got stuck once and a little breaking up with the paddle took care of it. We had an OG of 1.099 and that thing fermented like crazy! Sounded like a 4 stroke motor sputtering away. After 5 days a pitched a vial of wlp530 in each fermentor which had about 8g in each. That blasted this baby down to 1.019 in less than 10 days. It tasted great too, very similar to Harvest Dance by Boulevard actually. Cant wait to get this carbed, so hard to be patient.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

So, we bottled most of this, but a little bit in the keg was quite good flavor wise, but did not retain much of the Belgian yeast flavors. We overshot our mash temp as well, were planning on 152, but went up to 156 somehow and the unfermentable sugars made this beer super heavy bodied. Next time I plan on going for 150* and only using wlp530. So, basically this did not produce what I was looking for, but gave me a starting point to improve on.

Second issue, bottles are barely carbonated after a month at 68*. We used the normal amount of priming sugar, and even added a small amount of dry yeast to the bottling bucket since it was in the fermentor for a month and a half. We even ended up pulling more yeast than normal in to the bottling bucket because we were using a new technique to rack out of the sanke fermentors. There is enough yeast in the bottles to cake to the bottom and you can see it when giving the bottles a swirl. I moved them to a warmer spot in the house, around 70*, and am going to try to give a them a swirl now and then, but swirling 12g worth of bombers is a pain in the ass! Any ideas for me?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #17
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Might be too much alcohol for the yeast or the pH might be too low. About all you can do now is wait and see.

Quick Reply