New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian Triple- the "light" version

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I would just stick with maybe 7-8 lbs Pils, a pound of sugar or so, then the 530 you have (unless you want the Unibroue) yeast.

I'm brewing a Tripel next and it's just 28 lbs pils with 4-5 pounds sugar with 5 gallons onto WY3787 and the other 5 to WLP500 yeast. The 3787 is the same as the 530. I might add a touch of aromatic, but unsure.

You could always add some munich if you desire (maybe half pound in 5 gallons) as well as some wheat malt (again, half pound to a full pound). I'd shoot for a gravity in the 1.045-1.047 range with the anticipation that you are going to get below 1.010 as a final gravity - putting you in the upper 4%-lower 5% abv range. For reference, the Belgian Pale I brewed while brewcasting went from 1.060 to 1.010 (83% AA) without any issues. There was less than a half pound of simple sugar in that recipe.

I have had no problems getting either the 500 or the 3787 over 80% apparent attenuation.

On a side note, I don't see how you can like a spicy tripel, but adding some corriander to a wit pushes you over the edge I think Fin du Monde is inherently much spicier than any wit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Yooper, basically you should just make a Cream Ale with low IBUs of noble hops and use a belgian yeast
I like Pseudo's plan. I like a triple, I really do. I just drink too much every day to be able to put a triple on tap.

I've made something similar to what DB is saying- and I'll do that in the summer again. I guess with my lower ABV triple, I'm wanting the extra stuff that comes with a triple. As to hating coriander, and liking Fin du Monde, what can I say? I'm a woman, so it doesn't have to make sense!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #22
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Yooper, basically you should just make a Cream Ale with low IBUs of noble hops and use a belgian yeast
Out of all the suggestions I've yet read, this is closest to the mark, methinks.

Really, we're talking about a SMaSH, here. Tripel is, purely, Pils, 10-20% invert sugar, a touch of noble hops, and yeast. Ditch the invert sugar and reduce the Pils to get an OG of less than 1060. I wouldn't worry about a protein rest, because the yeast will be so low-floc that clarity won't be much of an issue. Set your sacc rest relatively high for vollmundigkeit. Bitter with noble hops or Styrian Goldings and keep the BU:GU below 1:2. I like Wyeast 3787 (the Westmalle strain), but also think Ardennes would be a really interesting experiment (I love that yeast!).

That's how I'd do it, anyway. If I wanted to ensure a bit of maltiness, I'd decoct instead of using a specialty grain. Tradition, you know. If you really want to go nuts, use Fix's 40/60/70 mash regime - start at 40C, rest 30 minutes. Transition to 60C with infusion of boiling liquor. Rest at 60C for 30 minutes. Transition from 60 to 70C with external heat and rest for 30 minutes. I've done this the past couple SMaSH brews, and the results have been outstanding.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited by Bob; 02-18-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #23
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I really wouldn't mash high for any belgian-style. I usually aim around the 150°F area to try to get them around 85% attenuation.

If she's looking for a beer that she can quaff all day long, she's going to want it to be dry so it's easier to drink and "digest" as the monks would say. This was part of the reason why Belgian beers are known for their dryness - because that's what the monks lived off of during times of fasting, so they needed to be able to put a lot down without feeling too full.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #24
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 33

True, Chef. But the specific requirement of a Tripel-like yet lighter beer makes me think she wants a Tripel but without the alcohol. If you simply reduce the grist/sugar without modifying the process by which the fermentables are extracted, you also reduce the precursors which provide the requisite mouthfeel of a Tripel. Thus my recommendation. It's subtle, but the Duvel is in the details. (groan)

Bob

Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #25
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1249 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
Thus my recommendation. It's subtle, but the Duvel is in the details. (groan)

Bob
you are evil and must be destroyed

I've got some Wyeast 3864 on the shopping list next week -- I was looking to do something similar. I love tripel and I love session beers.

Just need to get the competition porter and dunkelweizens out of the carboys.
Tis' the season for Saisons and getting my Belgian on !

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Quick Reply